Setting up a wireless network

Old June 15th 04, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Henry Henry

Default Setting up a wireless network

I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete novice
when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...

A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop and a
desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless network
between them. They both have network cards already, and he's bought Sitecom
Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom Network PC card 100G+ for
the laptop.

From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both machines, then
set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some kind soul has set out
a step-by-step guide to both processes that you can recommend? One of those
guides that an idiot like me can understand!

I should add that the primary purpose of setting up the wireless network is
to access the NTL broadband connection (which runs through a USB cable
modem)

Many thanks.

Old June 15th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

Henry Henry wrote:
I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete
novice when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...

A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop
and a desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless
network between them. They both have network cards already, and he's
bought Sitecom Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom
Network PC card 100G+ for the laptop.

From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both
machines, then set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some
kind soul has set out a step-by-step guide to both processes that you
can recommend? One of those guides that an idiot like me can
understand!

I should add that the primary purpose of setting up the wireless
network is to access the NTL broadband connection (which runs through
a USB cable modem)

Many thanks.

start by reading the XP Home Help and Support. It's quite good on
networking. Sounds like an Ad-hoc setup you are after.
Ed

Old June 15th 04, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Henry Henry wrote:

I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete
novice when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...

A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop
and a desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless
network between them. They both have network cards already, and he's
bought Sitecom Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom
Network PC card 100G+ for the laptop.

From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both
machines, then set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some
kind soul has set out a step-by-step guide to both processes that you
can recommend? One of those guides that an idiot like me can
understand!

I should add that the primary purpose of setting up the wireless
network is to access the NTL broadband connection (which runs through
a USB cable modem)

Many thanks.

Unless I'm missing something, the kit your friend has bought won't do the
job! To create a wireless network, you normally need a wireless access point
which acts as the "hub" of the network - and each PC then communicates with
this access point by means of its own PCI or PCMCIA wireless card. AIUI, two
PCs with wireless cards can't talk to each other except via an access point.

Your best bet would be to throw away the USB modem, and get a wireless
Broadband (cable as opposed to ADSL) router - which will talk to both PCs
and enable the internet connection to be shared. This arrangement enables
each PC to access the internet independently without the other one being
turned on (or they can both do it concurrently, of course). If you use a USB
modem, whichever PC it is connected to will have to be up and running
whenever the other one wants to access the internet. In addition, you'll
have to use Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which is vastly
inferior to using a proper router.

You say that both PCs had network cards before the wireless cards were
added. Is there some compelling reason why it *must* be wireless? If you
want a cheap and dirty solution, take the wireless cards back for a refund,
and connect the two computers using a cross-over ethernet cable plugged into
the original network ports. Keep the USB modem (ugh!) and use ICS to share
the connection (double ugh!). It *will* work - after a fashion!

If it *must* be wireless but you don't want to use a router, swap the
desktop machine's PCI card for a pure wireless access point, which will
connect to its original network port. You can then still continue to use the
USB modem and share the connection with ICS - all subject to the limitations
described above.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 15th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Henry Henry

I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete
novice when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...

A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop
and a desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless
network between them. They both have network cards already, and he's
bought Sitecom Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom
Network PC card 100G+ for the laptop.

From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both
[...]

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm a little concerned that we've got the
wrong kit - I was under the impression that the Sitecom Network PCI card 54M
did the job you described, and since the desktop is going to be on for
pretty much all the time anyway, the router option isn't obligatory. Unless
of course I *have* to get one over the USB cable modem.

My friend would prefer to go wireless as he moves around the flat all the
time, so fixed wires aren't useful and loose ones are a death-trap to oldies
(!).

I'm aware that there are issues with ICS, but at a simple level it does work
and since I don't necessarily need the router, it does the job. Would you
be willing to have a quick peek at the Sitecom site (www.sitecom.com) and
looking up the PCI card to confirm whether chummy's made a dreadful mistake?

Many thanks.

Old June 15th 04, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Derrick

Henry Henry wrote:

[...]

Incorrect. A wireless network without access points is called an ad-hoc
network. There's a checkbox in the network properties to tell Windows
it's using that type of network.

Your best bet would be to throw away the USB modem, and get a wireless
Broadband (cable as opposed to ADSL) router - which will talk to both PCs
and enable the internet connection to be shared. This arrangement enables
each PC to access the internet independently without the other one being
turned on (or they can both do it concurrently, of course).

Definitely the better way to do it. That approach also gives your
network better security.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm a little concerned that we've got the
wrong kit - I was under the impression that the Sitecom Network PCI card 54M
did the job you described, and since the desktop is going to be on for
pretty much all the time anyway, the router option isn't obligatory. Unless
of course I *have* to get one over the USB cable modem.

They'll be fine, see above. They're from the same manufacturer which
means there shouldn't be any odd compatibility issues.

My friend would prefer to go wireless as he moves around the flat all the
time, so fixed wires aren't useful and loose ones are a death-trap to oldies
(!).

Makes sense. I like to wander around with the laptop too. Wireless
networks aren't particularly more difficult to set up than a wired one.
You might find a decent how-to in a computer mag. Have a browse in
Smiths & see what you can find.

HTH,

Dave
--
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary,
and those who don't.
Old June 16th 04, 08:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Henry Henry

[...]

Thanks for the reassurance, David.

Old June 16th 04, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:40:03 +0100, "Henry Henry"
wrote:

I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete novice
when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...

A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop and a
desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless network
between them. They both have network cards already, and he's bought Sitecom
Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom Network PC card 100G+ for
the laptop.

From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both machines, then
set up the wireless thing. Is there a site when some kind soul has set out
a step-by-step guide to both processes that you can recommend? One of those
guides that an idiot like me can understand!

I should add that the primary purpose of setting up the wireless network is
to access the NTL broadband connection (which runs through a USB cable
modem)

Many thanks.

I tend to agree with the post from Tiscali Tim.

IMHO by far the best way to set up a wireless network, especially one
where the main aim is to share the internet connection, would be to
get a wireless ADSL modem/router (in your case cable, since they are
different).

I read your other messages saying that the PC would normally be on
etc, but I don't really think that changes anything. A wireless
modem/router would provide decent coverage all round your flat (make
sure you get one with 128mb encryption, which is basically all of
them, and use MAC address filtering). You can connect the main
computer to the router either using a 10/100 network card (i.e. wired)
or use a wireless PCI card, like the one you've got.

The 10/100 connection will offer a faster connection between the
machine and the router, but if you are not really planning to share
resources between the laptop and the workstation then this may not
really matter as any wireless link will be faster than your internet
bandwidth.

Setting up such a network will not only provide better performance and
greater flexibility but it will almost certainly be easier to set up
and certainly require less fiddling to keep it going.

I have looked for the wireless PCI card you describe on the Sitecom
website, but you've not provided a model number so I can only guess
which PCI card you mean. I am assuming the cardbus for the laptop is
the WL-120, in which case you should have bought the WL-121 for the
PC. However I think the one you have got (which incidently I cannot
find) should do the job fine but I cannot recommend strongly enough,
chuck away the USB modem and buy a proper cable modem/router. The
WL-122 on the Sitecom website should be the ticket for this, but it
does not specify whether it is designed to work with cable or ADSL, so
I would suggest asking Sitecom about this first.

Hope this helps.
Old June 16th 04, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Henry Henry wrote:

[...]

I've had a look at the Sitecom site, but I'm not totally sure whether what
you've got will work or not. Forgetting all the different speed standards,
wireless networks can operate in either of two modes - infrastructure or
ad-hoc. Infrastructure mode needs a wireless access point, but ad-hoc mode
doesn't, since it allows direct communications between suitably equipped
computers. As far as I am aware, all wireless cards support infrastructure
mode, but not all support ad-hoc mode. (The 3Com card in my laptop, for
example, doesn't).

Looking at the Sitecom site, some of their kit appears to support ad-hoc
mode but some appears not to. You need to identify the precise kit which
your friend has bought, and check whether both cards support ad-hoc mode. If
they do, you should be ok.

But like others have said, if I was going there, I wouldn't be starting from
here! g
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 19th 04, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

Henry Henry wrote:
A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a
laptop and a desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a
wireless network between them. They both have network cards

SNIP..........
Makes sense. I like to wander around with the laptop too. Wireless
networks aren't particularly more difficult to set up than a wired
one. You might find a decent how-to in a computer mag. Have a browse
in
Smiths & see what you can find.

HTH,

Thanks for the reassurance, David.

As I said earlier, read the XP help files about ad-hoc networks.
Ed
Old June 28th 04, 07:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Markus

Hi!

Just read your posting and thought I could give you some advices on
what to do if you decide to get Sitecom WL-120 or WL-122:

I use the above models since six month and now I am mostly sadisfied
with it. When I bought these WL-components I also had an USB-DSL-modem
which definetely will not work with Sitecom WL-120 and WL-122. If you
just decide to get a WL-120 PCMCIA-Card for your Notebook then you
also need a DSL-Router. But if you should decide to get Sitecom's
WL-122 then you also need an Ethernet-DSL-Modem which is connected
between your Sitecom WL-122-Router and your line. Your notebook will
get connected through the router with the internet. Like already
mentioned you should be able to configure your router with at least
128bit-encryption. One think about Sitecom WL-120: At Sitecom's
homepage you will find informations about it's connectivity up to 100
Mbit. This is definetely not true! The fastest connection right now
supported by WL-120 is up to 54 Mbit which makes a big different.

By the way - get informations from your provider if multiple
networking is allowed with your contract. Some don't support that or
charge you for getting online with a second, third....computer at the
same time (if this should be happen to you).

If you have other questions just ask. Hope informations will help you
some,
Markus

wrote:

I'm relatively good at dealing with standalone PCs and a complete novice
when it comes to networking, so this is a plea for help...

A friend (who knows even less about networking than me) has a laptop and a
desktop (both running XP Home) and wants to set up a wireless network
between them. They both have network cards already, and he's bought Sitecom
Network PCI card 54M for the desktop and a Sitecom Network PC card 100G+ for
the laptop.

From what I understand, I need to establish a network on both machines, then