Newbie questions of a very simple nature

Old June 15th 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
El Beatle

Default Newbie questions of a very simple nature

I apologize in advance for my appalling lack of knowledge in this area,
as the questions I ask will no doubt either be easily answered and will
have been answered many times before. However after having a look through
Deja I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm after, so if anyone
could clear up these questions I'd be extremely grateful.

1) - Is broadband piped directly through the phoneline, meaning that you
can receive it from any phone socket in a connected house, as long as a
microfilter and a modem are connected.

2) - Would it be possible to connect two computers (with modems) directly
to two different phone sockets (with microfilters) at the same time and
have them both downloading without the need for a router?

3) - Which provider is generally reckoned to offer the best 512kbps
unlimited service?

Thanks very much, and I'm sorry for all the simple questions!
Old June 15th 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spacen Jasset

"El Beatle" wrote in message
t...
I apologize in advance for my appalling lack of knowledge in this area,
as the questions I ask will no doubt either be easily answered and will
have been answered many times before. However after having a look through
Deja I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm after, so if anyone
could clear up these questions I'd be extremely grateful.

1) - Is broadband piped directly through the phoneline, meaning that you
can receive it from any phone socket in a connected house, as long as a
microfilter and a modem are connected.

Yes. It is the same cable. You can connect anywhere so long as you use the
filters.

2) - Would it be possible to connect two computers (with modems) directly
to two different phone sockets (with microfilters) at the same time and
have them both downloading without the need for a router?

No. Essentially a broadband modem uses all the high-end bandwith on your
phone line. You may only connect on broadband modem to a line. ( You can
ofcourse get another line installed )

If you want to use more than one pc then either get cheap PC and a EITHERNET
HUB, or get a EITHERNET dsl modem and a HUB, or you can get a DSL modem with
multiple eithernet hubs. Do some research on this on the net. maybe try
scan.co.uk thet sometimes have cheap "today only deals" on this sort of
equipment.

3) - Which provider is generally reckoned to offer the best 512kbps
unlimited service?

I haven't found out yet really.

Old June 15th 04, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spacen Jasset

EITHERNET reads ETHERNET. Hmm.

Old June 15th 04, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rifleman

"Spacen Jasset" wrote in message
EITHERNET reads ETHERNET. Hmm.

Domn spull chickers.... ;-)

Old June 15th 04, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

El Beatle wrote:

I apologize in advance for my appalling lack of knowledge in this
area, as the questions I ask will no doubt either be easily answered
and will have been answered many times before. However after having a
look through Deja I haven't been able to find exactly what I'm after,
so if anyone could clear up these questions I'd be extremely grateful.

1) - Is broadband piped directly through the phoneline, meaning that
you can receive it from any phone socket in a connected house, as
long as a microfilter and a modem are connected.

Yes, but you must also have filters on *all* other sockets into which analog
devices (phones, faxes, etc.) are plugged.

If you can contrive to plug your modem/router/whatever into the *master*
socket, a far better solution is to use a filtered faceplate - with all the
extension wiring connected into the back. You don't then need filters
everywhere else. You can get filtered faceplates from Solwise
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm among others.

2) - Would it be possible to connect two computers (with modems)
directly to two different phone sockets (with microfilters) at the
same time and have them both downloading without the need for a
router?

NO! Only one modem can synch on the line at a time. The mere presence of a
second one will stop the first one working.

3) - Which provider is generally reckoned to offer the best 512kbps
unlimited service?

You pays your money, and takes your choice! Have a look at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

A number of ISP (including PlusNet which I use) have recently introduced
tiered services - where the price depends on how many GB per month you
download, but with a premium service (at a higher price, of course!) which
provides unlimited downloads. I think (from memory) that PlusNet's 512k
unlimited service is 22 quid per month - but you have to pay up-front setup
charges and provide your own modem etc. on top of this. You can have a
service without setup charges by paying a few quid extra for the first 12
months.

If you don't need more that 1 or 2GB per month, the services start at about
15 quid per month. See http://www.plus.net/info2/index.html

[If you do decide to go with PlusNet, you could save me a few bob by
entering "mills37" into the Referral Box!]

Thanks very much, and I'm sorry for all the simple questions!

HTH.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 16th 04, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:46:12 +0100, El Beatle
wrote:

[...]

I can't really add anything that has not already been said about 1,2
and 3 so I won't bother - but I would say don't worry about newbie
questions. Everyone had to ask them once, you're certainly not alone,
and there are plenty of people in these groups more than happy to help
:-)
Old June 16th 04, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
El Beatle

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

I felt I had to add that, having seen people get their heads bitten off
for asking simple questions in other newsgroups. Glad to see it's not the
case here - you've all helped me a great deal. Thanks very much to
everyone who's helped.
Old June 16th 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 09:59:21 +0100, El Beatle
wrote:

I felt I had to add that, having seen people get their heads bitten off
for asking simple questions in other newsgroups. Glad to see it's not the
case here - you've all helped me a great deal. Thanks very much to
everyone who's helped.

Well I'm pretty new here too, but I've spent time on other groups like
uk.comp.home-networking and found the folks there to be fairly
friendly :-) Sorry to hear that people have had their heads bitten
off on some groups.
Old June 16th 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Hill

El Beatle uttered in :

2) - Would it be possible to connect two computers (with modems) directly
to two different phone sockets (with microfilters) at the same time and
have them both downloading without the need for a router?

As answered before, no.

You have two options for providing internet connectivity to multiple
computers in a house.

1) Use wired ethernet connections. Either have wires dangling all over the
place, or run them properly through the walls. Best setup requires a DSL
router + ethernet switch + n network cards (where n = # PCs without onboard
ethernet).

2) Use wireless connections. Best setup requires a DSL router + wireless
hub + n wireless adapter cards.

Wired networking ties your machines down to a location, but has a higher
speed for sharing files between machines. Wireless lets you move systems
around (within range of the access point [wireless hub]), but at a speed
sacrifice. Both wired and wireless are much faster than the DSL
connection, so it doesn't matter much in that respect.

Wireless can suffer from interference, walls and distance limitations, but
is quite acceptable in your 'typical' UK house. Don't stick the AP near
the microwave though.

Linksys, Netgear, Solwise and others all make combination DSL router +
wireless hub / ethernet switch gear, providing one box to do most of the
hard work.

--
Posting addr feeds straight to DCC and others. dhill + nana = cricalix ,
net for direct mail.
Old June 16th 04, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Duncan Hill wrote:

El Beatle uttered in :

[...]

I would just add that if you *are* going to use a wireless network, make
sure that you understand and implement all the recommended security
features - to ensure that passers by can't gatecrash your network.

[Rumour has it that some sick individuals go touring round in cars equipped
with network detection devices, looking for unprotected wireless networks.
Sounds fanciful, I know - but I'm assured that it *does* happen.]
--
Cheers,
Tim