fax software on broadband.

Old June 15th 04, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
arty21>

Default fax software on broadband.

Hi all
I'm new to broadband so please forgive the stupid question if it is!!!!!!!

I have a combi printer, you know the all in one thing that prints and scans
and faxes. Trouble is since I went on broad band I cant use it for faxes
anymore. Is there a trick to this or do I require a dial up modem to fax
items.
any help please.

john

Old June 15th 04, 09:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"arty21" wrote in message

I have a combi printer, you know the all in one thing that prints and
scans and faxes. Trouble is since I went on broad band I cant use it
for faxes anymore. Is there a trick to this or do I require a dial up
modem to fax items.

You would need a dial-up modem (i.e. the setup you would have had before for
faxes)

Regards
Sunil

Old June 15th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron

"arty21" wrote in message
Hi all
I'm new to broadband so please forgive the stupid question if it is!!!!!!!

I have a combi printer, you know the all in one thing that prints and

scans
and faxes. Trouble is since I went on broad band I cant use it for faxes
anymore. Is there a trick to this or do I require a dial up modem to fax
items.
any help please.

john

??? why not just plug it into your phone line like you did before? you can
still fax using a adsl line, just plug it in with microfilter and bobs you
uncle.

Old June 16th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec

"Ron" wrote in message

"arty21" wrote in message
Hi all
I'm new to broadband so please forgive the stupid question if it

is!!!!!!!

I have a combi printer, you know the all in one thing that prints and

scans
and faxes. Trouble is since I went on broad band I cant use it for faxes
anymore. Is there a trick to this or do I require a dial up modem to fax
items.
any help please.

john

??? why not just plug it into your phone line like you did before? you can
still fax using a adsl line, just plug it in with microfilter and bobs you
uncle.

Well not quite. Some fax machines (including all-in-one device) don't work
very well on an ADSL-enabled line, being plugged into the phone side of
microfilter, esp when it comes to discriminating fax calls. I don't know
what you can do about it, except swap with another machine.

Alec

Old June 16th 04, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Hi all
I'm new to broadband so please forgive the stupid question if it
is!!!!!!!

I have a combi printer, you know the all in one thing that prints and
scans and faxes. Trouble is since I went on broad band I cant use it
for faxes anymore. Is there a trick to this or do I require a dial up
modem to fax items.
any help please.

john

Presumably prior to Broadband, your combi unit simply plugged into a phone
socket for sending faxes. You should *still* be able to plug it into a phone
socket but will, of course, need a micro-filter (unless you have a filtered
master socket faceplate), and plug the 'fax' machine into the phone socket
of the filter.

Are you saying you have done this, but it still doesn't work? If so, what
precisely happens when you try?

If the machine *doesn't* have a phone cable, please explain the mechanics of
how you sent faxes prior to Broadband.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 16th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Alec wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message

"arty21" wrote in message
[...]

I would suggest using such a device only for sending but not *receiving*
faxes. Some ADSL ISP's provide a Fax to Email facility (PlusNet certainly
do, but there are also 3rd party facilities available). With Fax to Email,
you get issued with an 0870 number to which faxes can be sent - and these
automatically appear as Email attachments, sent to a specified Email
address. You don't therefore need to use your own phoneline or fax machine
for *incoming* faxes.

Outgoing faxes should be less of a problem with ADSL-enabled lines. If the
device can't detect dial tone reliably, you may have to disable "Wait for
dial tone" if the device supports it. [You can certainly do it with
fax/modems - not sure about all-in-one machines].
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 16th 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Graves

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:53:58 +0100, "Tiscali Tim"

Alec wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message

"arty21" wrote in message
[...]

snip

If your ISP doesn't provide a fax to email facility you can sign-up
for one for free with Inweb at
http://control.inweb.co.uk/newaccount.cgi
Bear in mind though that if you don't receive any faxes for a certain
period then your number may be re-allocated (8 weeks I think with
Inweb).
--
Mark Graves
To reply by email remove SPAMTRAP from the address.
Old June 16th 04, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mark Graves wrote:

If your ISP doesn't provide a fax to email facility you can sign-up
for one for free with Inweb at
http://control.inweb.co.uk/newaccount.cgi
Bear in mind though that if you don't receive any faxes for a certain
period then your number may be re-allocated (8 weeks I think with
Inweb).

I suspect they all do this - PlusNet do, anyway. I have to remember to send
myself a dummy fax every few weeks to keep the allocated number!
--
Cheers,
Tim