BT Network problem.

Old June 15th 04, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default BT Network problem.

Plus have posted a notice on their site about a major BT network problem at
Reading. What astonishes me is the number of exchanges that BT say may be
affected. Do they really not have enough redundancy in their network to cope
with this?

The Exchange list is

Major Service Incident - Reading Exchange - Update
The problem is still evident and BT's ETA has been put back. We will update
you all when further information is available.

Some customers may be experiencing problems with their ADSL connections due
to a major service incident at the Reading exchange. A list of exchanges
affected can be found below.

Network Element Affected:READING2 ERX5 LOSS OF SERVICE MUX'S:-
sparsholt
bagshot
andover
cockwells
cirencester
hurstbourne tarrant
tiverton
reading earley
downton
milborne port
swindon
southampton shirley
slindon
stenalees
portsmouth
kings somborne
hampden row
lechlade
bloxham
tetbury
chichester cathedral
fenny compton
crownhill
stalbridge
abson
owlsebury
minehead
worth matravers
headington
melksham
middleton-on-sea
odiham
parkstone
kidmore end
okehampton
chipping sodbury
plympton
bridport
gosport
caversham
hythe
bath kingsmead
longdown
fordingbridge
hook
portishead
perranporth
little chalfont
upwey
wellington
swimbridge
sandown iow
seend
perranporth
street
bridgewater
andoversford
reading spencers wood
runfold
deddington
new milton
germoe
swanage
weymouth
high wycombe
bibury
nailsea
stoke bishop
thames ditton
stone
west monkton
colaton raleigh
castle cary
par
kentisbeare
marshfield
dittisham
frilford heath
newmachar
chilton polden
penn
steeple aston
chandlers ford
pagham
henley-on-thames
southampton woolston
fareham
chandlers ford
barnstaple
camberley
aylesbury
aston clinton
great missenden
highclere
bicester
botley
basingstoke
micheldever
goring
banwell
kings somborne
brixham
brighton withdean
bideford
broadstone
romsey
windsor
witney
carterton
braunton
worle
bordon
summertown
swindon
kennford
saltash
stony stratford
swindon
taunton
salisbury
wokingham
trowbridge
poole
limpley stoke
great shefford
worle
southampton moorhill
winchester
bridgewater
kingswood
woodley
exeter
long sutton
wokingham
fleet
falmouth
northbourne
radnage
paignton
bath kingsmead
stockbridge
north end
maidenhead
shepton mallet
newbury
eastergate
newquay
bradfield
plymstock
shanklin iow
great milton
cannings
marlow
long crendon
west lulworth
hampden row
bracknell
mitchell
buckland
owlsebury
devonport
worth matravers

--
gee six jay en

Replace the words with the numbers to email me

Old June 16th 04, 06:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Been online in High Wycombe since 3:45am this morning with no problem.
Looks like they might have fixed it.
Old June 16th 04, 10:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lawrence Stromski

It was fixed fairly quickly. The "resolved" box isn't timestamped but it was
fixed quickly. In answer to your question, I don't believe reading is just
an exchange, I believe it's a major hub for BT's UK infrastructure so a
failure there could affect all those exchanges.
Just like Manchester is also a major hub so the underground fire there a
little while back took out broadband from one end of the country to the
other in patches.

I totally agree with you, it shouldn't be that dependant on two places, but
it is. Companies often think about money over practicality. In an ideal
world they would have their hubs in the smallest most electrically stable
towns where there is less that can go wrong, but it would cost them millions
to run the cabling to that town, so it ends up in the cities where lots more
can go wrong. (inc terrorism)

--
-Lawrence Stromski.

Old June 16th 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

wrote in message
Been online in High Wycombe since 3:45am this morning with no problem.
Looks like they might have fixed it.

Where is the exchange in High Wycombe? Is it still opposite the courthouse by
the multistorey carpark in Easton Street?

Old June 17th 04, 04:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:28:40 +0000 (UTC), "Beck"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Been online in High Wycombe since 3:45am this morning with no problem.
Looks like they might have fixed it.

Where is the exchange in High Wycombe? Is it still opposite the courthouse by
the multistorey carpark in Easton Street?

Sorry, I've no idea.