Wireless Modem Recommendation?

Old June 16th 04, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jamez

Default Wireless Modem Recommendation?

Hi

Anyone care to recommend a good wireless ADSL Modem/Router? I would
need a PCI or USB wireless adapter for my PC as well....don't want to
spend much...nothing fancy, just something that works and is easy to
set up....

Thanks.

Jamezg
Old June 16th 04, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:51:15 +0100, Jamez wrote:

Anyone care to recommend a good wireless ADSL Modem/Router? I would
need a PCI or USB wireless adapter for my PC as well....don't want to
spend much...nothing fancy, just something that works and is easy to
set up....

Thanks.

I use the Netgear DG834G which seems to be quite a popular choice. I
often see up to 5 wireless networks from my lounge and four of them,
like me, are using Netgear routers (based on the MAC address of the
other networks). I also recently bought a computer magazine, can't
remember which one, which tested five different ADSL modem/routers and
considered the DG834G the star buy.
Old June 16th 04, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sir Gordon Brown

"Simon Pleasants" wrote in message
I use the Netgear DG834G which seems to be quite a popular choice. I
often see up to 5 wireless networks from my lounge and four of them,
like me, are using Netgear routers (based on the MAC address of the
other networks). I also recently bought a computer magazine, can't
remember which one, which tested five different ADSL modem/routers and
considered the DG834G the star buy.

Same here. The DG834G is far more reliable than the D-Link wireless access
point it replaced. There is an offer on at the moment where you can get a
free wireless client USB/PCMCIA device with the DG834G, see

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...VzdWx0cw%3D%3D

Old June 17th 04, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Sellars

Sir Gordon Brown wrote:

"Simon Pleasants" wrote in message

I use the Netgear DG834G which seems to be quite a popular choice. I
often see up to 5 wireless networks from my lounge and four of them,
like me, are using Netgear routers (based on the MAC address of the
other networks). I also recently bought a computer magazine, can't
remember which one, which tested five different ADSL modem/routers and
considered the DG834G the star buy.

Same here. The DG834G is far more reliable than the D-Link wireless access
point it replaced. There is an offer on at the moment where you can get a
free wireless client USB/PCMCIA device with the DG834G, see

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...VzdWx0cw%3D%3D

I bought this package, excellent value, as long as you don't mind the
eBuyer delivery times (4/5 days). Having said that, their service is
generally excellent in my experience, and the DG834G with either the USB
or PC-card wifi adapter is a bargain in my book! Go get it!
Old June 17th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Hopeless

Same here. The DG834G is far more reliable than the D-Link wireless access
point it replaced. There is an offer on at the moment where you can get a
free wireless client USB/PCMCIA device with the DG834G, see

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...VzdWx0cw%3D%3D

I bought this package last week and it was easy to setup up even for a
network novice like me. After much umming and aarghing I decided to flash
to the latest firmware which was simplicity in itself.

Great product, great price. Well done Ebuyer.

Old June 17th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:23:14 +0100, "Bob Hopeless"
wrote:

Same here. The DG834G is far more reliable than the D-Link wireless access
point it replaced. There is an offer on at the moment where you can get a
free wireless client USB/PCMCIA device with the DG834G, see

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...VzdWx0cw%3D%3D

I bought this package last week and it was easy to setup up even for a
network novice like me. After much umming and aarghing I decided to flash
to the latest firmware which was simplicity in itself.

Great product, great price. Well done Ebuyer.

I don't know what firmware is being supplier with these machines now
as I have had mine for some months. However I also decided to upgrade
from the original firmware (v1.03) to v1.04 and that was also
simplicity itself.

In THEORY since v1.03 you can upgrade the firmware via the wireless
link. Personally, if you CAN, I'd say use cat5 instead.
Old June 17th 04, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Jamez" wrote in message

Anyone care to recommend a good wireless ADSL Modem/Router? I would
need a PCI or USB wireless adapter for my PC as well....don't want to
spend much...nothing fancy, just something that works and is easy to
set up....

The Belkin F5D7630uk4A - also comes with 24/7 freephone technical support
and a lifetime warranty.

Regards
Sunil

Old June 18th 04, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jamez

wrote:

Same here. The DG834G is far more reliable than the D-Link wireless access
point it replaced. There is an offer on at the moment where you can get a
free wireless client USB/PCMCIA device with the DG834G, see

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...VzdWx0cw%3D%3D

I bought this package last week and it was easy to setup up even for a
network novice like me. After much umming and aarghing I decided to flash
to the latest firmware which was simplicity in itself.

Great product, great price. Well done Ebuyer.

Excellent...thanks for the suggestions..off to Ebuyer to check out
that deal...

Jamez

Old June 21st 04, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 17 Jun 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

The Belkin F5D7630uk4A - also comes with 24/7 freephone technical
support and a lifetime warranty.

Would be handy to have their number (I helped someone set his up, and
had the unit here for a week). Used the Belkin USB 5.5/11 Mbps unit on
his laptop - there was a stock shortage the week he ordered the router
but was able to order a couple (*) of the USB units for delivery to me
and I used the laptop to check the USB units - second unit was for his
son's PC and worked a treat...

* as Dabs had messed about they offered free delivery for 2nd order,
and buying two units in a combined pack was a few pounds cheaper and
came with some iD game - from memory it was Quake III.

My minor concern was that the router did seem to run HOT ! Peter M.
Old June 21st 04, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"poster" wrote in message

On 17 Jun 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

The Belkin F5D7630uk4A - also comes with 24/7 freephone technical
support and a lifetime warranty.

Would be handy to have their number (I helped someone set his up, and
had the unit here for a week).

Belkin's tech support is an international freephone number - 00800 22355460

My minor concern was that the router did seem to run HOT !

Yes, they are certainly warm to the touch, though I don't think its a cause
for concern - having heard the same thing about other brands based on the
same chipset (+ Belkin seem quite willing to do an RMA if there is a
problem)

Regards
Sunil