additional charge for BT yahoo Broadband

Old June 16th 04, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Darren Barwise

Default additional charge for BT yahoo Broadband

Hi,

I've been using BT Yahoo broadband for nearly 3 months & apart from a
few problems cancelling some of my other packages have been satisfied
with the service.

I'm paying for the 30 a month connection & today I've received a bill
marked "BT Standard" which has a 8.32 charge under "service charges"
for line rental.

I've never been told that there was going to be any more charges on
top of the 30 a month that I have to pay. I read all the infomation
regarding BT Yahoo including the terms & conditions and never saw
anything mentioned about line rental charges. My phone line is only
used for the Internet connection so I don't run up any additional
phone charges.

I contacted BT about this & they said that this line rental charge is
correct & I will be charged it every month. Is this right & why
haven't these additonal charges been mentioned about anywhere
before? & why have I suddenly been billed for line rental after 3
months & not before...

Any confirmations welcome..

thanks,

Darren
Old June 16th 04, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:51:40 UTC, Darren Barwise [email protected] wrote:

I contacted BT about this & they said that this line rental charge is
correct & I will be charged it every month. Is this right & why
haven't these additonal charges been mentioned about anywhere
before?

Proabbly because everyone else tends to know that ADSL is a service on
an existing phone line. What you pay BT/Yahoo is actually fairly
exorbitant, but you could have saved several pounds a month by choosing
a different ISP.

You pay BT/Yahoo (a different company, effectively) for Internet and
ADSL service.

You pay BT itself for providing and maintaining a phone line, exchange
equipment etc.

& why have I suddenly been billed for line rental after 3
months & not before...

Because ADSL is generally billed by most (if not all) ISPs on a monthly
basis. And phone service is most often (and by default) billed by BT on
a quarterly cycle.

You could abrogate the charge by leaving BT/Yahoo (contract permitting)
and getting service from one of the many ISPs who charge around 20
pounds/month. You'd still have to pay your line fee, but the tital would
be a lot less than it is now.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old June 16th 04, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

Darren Barwise [email protected] wrote in
:

I contacted BT about this & they said that this line rental charge is
correct & I will be charged it every month. Is this right & why
haven't these additonal charges been mentioned about anywhere
before? & why have I suddenly been billed for line rental after 3
months & not before...

Yes, you will have to pay line rental on your BT Line. The ISP charge is
always on top of the line rental charge. You can't have ADSL broadband
without the BT line so it is a given that you have to pay the line rental
charge.

--
My photos: http://www.weezer.plus.com/
To send me an e-mail, remove TEETH
Old June 16th 04, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Darren Barwise" [email protected] wrote in message

I'm paying for the 30 a month connection & today I've received a bill
marked "BT Standard" which has a 8.32 charge under "service charges"
for line rental.

I've never been told that there was going to be any more charges on
top of the 30 a month that I have to pay. I read all the infomation
regarding BT Yahoo including the terms & conditions and never saw
anything mentioned about line rental charges. My phone line is only
used for the Internet connection so I don't run up any additional
phone charges.

The 9.50/month inc VAT (10.50 from 1st July) is the Standard line rental
for the BT telephone line.

This is what everyone pays for teh ability to make/receive voice calls on a
BT line and is paid to BT Retail.

Any charges for ADSL are paid separately to your ISP and are in addition to
your voice rental.

BT Yahoo's contract won't mention this charge as its nothing to do with
them.

Regards
Sunil

Old June 17th 04, 07:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter File

I'm paying for the 30 a month connection & today I've received a bill
marked "BT Standard" which has a 8.32 charge under "service charges"
for line rental.

snip unresearched rant

It's called line rental you plank, everyone with a BT line pays it.

Old June 17th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 07:32:10 +0100, "Peter File"
wrote:

I'm paying for the 30 a month connection & today I've received a bill
marked "BT Standard" which has a 8.32 charge under "service charges"
for line rental.

snip unresearched rant

It's called line rental you plank, everyone with a BT line pays it.

You and I know that, and apart from the OP, probably everyone else
that subscribes to this newsgroup also, but there really is a lot of
ignorance about Broadband with the great unwashed general public.

Getting some people to understand that you can use a single telephone
line that will allow you to surf the net AND make a telephone calls at
the same time is quite an uphill struggle. On top of this, many
others believe there is a usage charge all the while you are using
Broadband.

I just wondered if the OP thought a new exchange line was required for
the Broadband service for which the fee would be "just" 30 month.

David Bradley

Old June 18th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:51:40 +0100, Darren Barwise [email protected]
wrote:

I'm paying for the 30 a month connection & today I've received a bill
marked "BT Standard" which has a 8.32 charge under "service charges"
for line rental.

This is rental of the telephone line from BT.

I've never been told that there was going to be any more charges on
top of the 30 a month that I have to pay. I read all the infomation
regarding BT Yahoo including the terms & conditions and never saw
anything mentioned about line rental charges.

From the point of your ISP, in this case BT Yahoo (pricey!), there are
no additional charges. However you'd be hard pressed to find a
provider more expensive.

My phone line is only
used for the Internet connection so I don't run up any additional
phone charges.

This bit I do not understand. Are you saying that you have an
additional phone line for the internet? Or are you saying that you
don't ever speak to anyone?

I am assuming that you do not realise that ADSL is a permanent
connection on the phone line, runs up no usage charges[1] and does not
interfere with voice calls. Basically, all you need is one line (with
ADSL on it), you can make and receive calls at any time, but your
internet connection will also work permanently and cost only the
(pricey) subscription to BT Yahoo and nothing else.

It does sound like you are costing yourself extra money here - perhaps
you could clarify some of the above?

I contacted BT about this & they said that this line rental charge is
correct & I will be charged it every month. Is this right & why
haven't these additonal charges been mentioned about anywhere
before? & why have I suddenly been billed for line rental after 3
months & not before...

Are you, per change, not from these lands? I would have thought most
UK residents would be aware of the situation surrounding BT.

Simon

[1] Unless you subscribe to a low usage tariff which then increases if
you download over a certain of information - however the BT Yahoo 30
(pricey!) account is not one of these.
Old June 19th 04, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

wrote:

I'm paying for the 30 a month connection & today I've received a bill
marked "BT Standard" which has a 8.32 charge under "service charges"
for line rental.

This is rental of the telephone line from BT.

I've never been told that there was going to be any more charges on
top of the 30 a month that I have to pay. I read all the infomation
regarding BT Yahoo including the terms & conditions and never saw
anything mentioned about line rental charges.

From the point of your ISP, in this case BT Yahoo (pricey!), there are
no additional charges. However you'd be hard pressed to find a
provider more expensive.

Not really.

BTY are by no means among the cheaper options, but they are also by no
means among the most expensive.

For example, Tiscali, Legend, edNET none of them have packages as
cheap.

And that is ignoring the ones such as Colt & Scotland online who only
do business packages.

I won't dispute that BTY are pricey, but it is not difficult to find a
more expensive provider.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Know what I hate? I hate rhetorical questions!

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old June 21st 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:13:05 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:29:33 +0100, Simon Pleasants
wrote:

From the point of your ISP, in this case BT Yahoo (pricey!), there are
no additional charges. However you'd be hard pressed to find a
provider more expensive.

Not really.

BTY are by no means among the cheaper options, but they are also by no
means among the most expensive.

For example, Tiscali, Legend, edNET none of them have packages as
cheap.

Well, assuming the genuine broadband article is 512kbps connection,
available anytime and with no download limits.....

Yes BT is not the single most expensive provider around but must be in
the top 5 or so (out of hundreds). I said it would be difficult (not
impossible) to find one more expensive, given that it is probably in
the top 3% cost wise, I stand by that.

Legend and edNet do seem rather pricey - it is surprising that they
get any business at all. Like for like Tiscali is 5 cheaper than BT
Yahoo, 60 over the course of a year.