Wireless Repeater

Old June 17th 04, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Default Wireless Repeater

I know this isn't quite the right place, but you lot seem knowledgeable on
this kinda thing.

I have an eBuyer wireless router / DSL modem, works a treat on the two
computers less than 10 metres away. But the one at the other end of the
house gets a very weak, intermittent signal. It's not practical, or really
possible to move the router any closer to the other computer. So is there
such a thing as a generic wireless repeater I could put half way? I've seen
a few on sites, but they only work with routers made by the same
manufacturer.

Thanks,
Pete.

"..and I swore never to read again after 'To Kill A Mocking Bird' gave me no
useful advice on killing Mocking Birds"
(Homer Simpson, 2004)

Old June 18th 04, 01:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lawrence Wong

"Peter Hewitt-Dutton" wrote in message
I know this isn't quite the right place, but you lot seem knowledgeable on
this kinda thing.

I have an eBuyer wireless router / DSL modem, works a treat on the two
computers less than 10 metres away. But the one at the other end of the
house gets a very weak, intermittent signal. It's not practical, or really
possible to move the router any closer to the other computer. So is there
such a thing as a generic wireless repeater I could put half way? I've

seen
a few on sites, but they only work with routers made by the same
manufacturer.

I used to use the D-Link DWL900AP+ access point which has a repeater mode.
However the repeater mode only works with the other D-Link "+" access point
so I had to change my D-Link DI-713P access point to the DI-714P+ access
point in order to make the repeater function work. I found the wireless link
seems to go down periodically requiring the repeater to be rebooted (and
some times the clients too). After about a year of this I replaced the whole
set-up with the Netgear DG834G access point/modem which seems to have a
better range and I no longer require a repeater.

AIUI, there are reports on the Internet that the D-Link repeater may work
with AP from other manufacturers (provided they use/share the same chipset),
but I no personal experience of this.

Old June 18th 04, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nigel. carron

In message , Peter Hewitt-Dutton
writes

I have an eBuyer wireless router / DSL modem, works a treat on the two
computers less than 10 metres away. But the one at the other end of the
house gets a very weak, intermittent signal. It's not practical, or
really possible to move the router any closer to the other computer. So
is there such a thing as a generic wireless repeater I could put half
way? I've seen a few on sites, but they only work with routers made by
the same manufacturer.

Sounds like overkill - what's the wireless part on the far PC? A better
antennae or even trying to move the antennae on one end to match the
other better?

If your antennae at either end is changeable then a cheap 5db antennae
may cure the problem..
--
Nigel J Carron

Old June 18th 04, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Peter Hewitt-Dutton wrote:
I know this isn't quite the right place, but you lot seem knowledgeable on
this kinda thing.

I have an eBuyer wireless router / DSL modem, works a treat on the two
computers less than 10 metres away. But the one at the other end of the
house gets a very weak, intermittent signal. It's not practical, or really
possible to move the router any closer to the other computer. So is there
such a thing as a generic wireless repeater I could put half way? I've seen
a few on sites, but they only work with routers made by the same
manufacturer.

Are all the computers in one direction from the router, or could they be.
If so, a simple reflector (40cm square of cooking foil) behind the
router to reflect the radio waves in the right direction may help.
Alternatively, a reflector behind the weak antenna may help.
A USB wireless adaptor, on the end of a 5m cable may be an option, as
it has significantly more flexibility in positioning.
What sort of wireless adaptor ddoes the 'other' computer have?
Old June 19th 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

Unfortunately not, they are all around it

All the computers have the same WLAN cards: Belkin 802.11b PCI cards.

Old June 19th 04, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

The cards are all the same, Belkin 802.11b PCI cards, they do have
detachable antenna. Is the connection standard? It's like the old cable TV
connecter, but much smaller.

Thanks,
Pete.

Old June 20th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Peter Hewitt-Dutton wrote:
Unfortunately not, they are all around it

All the computers have the same WLAN cards: Belkin 802.11b PCI cards.

I don't know the card.
This isn't one of the abominations with the antenna sticking directly out
of the slot, just next to the case, with no cable is it?

Old June 21st 04, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

There is a cable to the aerial, with a small round screw connector onto the
card. I don't know if this is a standard or not.

Old June 21st 04, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Peter Hewitt-Dutton wrote:
There is a cable to the aerial, with a small round screw connector onto the
card. I don't know if this is a standard or not.

Is the antenna directly behind the computer. (as you look from the
router).
Can it be moved in front?