MPLS broadband

Old June 18th 04, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Newell

Default MPLS broadband

Hi

Can someone please explain (technically) how Multi Protocol Label Switching
(MPLS) broadband works, at work we have had this installed so remote sites
to us connect back to us, BT describe it as a form of broadband but
apparently it has no contention ratio as its direct. Does anyone know how
it works, is it just routed ? BT seem to be installing normal lines that are
enabled for broadband ( so the engineers think ) also do these work same as
ADSL so they can use a phone on line as well ?

Thanks

Duncan

Old June 18th 04, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Duncan Newell" wrote in message

Can someone please explain (technically) how Multi Protocol Label
Switching (MPLS) broadband works, at work we have had this installed
so remote sites to us connect back to us, BT describe it as a form of
broadband but apparently it has no contention ratio as its direct.
Does anyone know how it works, is it just routed ? BT seem to be
installing normal lines that are enabled for broadband ( so the
engineers think ) also do these work same as ADSL so they can use a
phone on line as well ?

Have a read of http://www.mplsrc.com/mplsfaq.shtml

Regards
Sunil

Old June 18th 04, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Newell

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Duncan Newell" wrote in message

Can someone please explain (technically) how Multi Protocol Label
Switching (MPLS) broadband works, at work we have had this installed
so remote sites to us connect back to us, BT describe it as a form of
broadband but apparently it has no contention ratio as its direct.
Does anyone know how it works, is it just routed ? BT seem to be
installing normal lines that are enabled for broadband ( so the
engineers think ) also do these work same as ADSL so they can use a
phone on line as well ?

Have a read of http://www.mplsrc.com/mplsfaq.shtml

Regards
Sunil

Interesting FAQ. Do you know is this connected up the same at the exchange
end as if it was ADSL or differently ?

Duncan

Old June 18th 04, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
Sunil Sood wrote:
Can someone please explain (technically) how Multi Protocol Label
Switching (MPLS) broadband works, at work we have had this installed
so remote sites to us connect back to us, BT describe it as a form of
broadband but apparently it has no contention ratio as its direct.

[...]
Have a read of http://www.mplsrc.com/mplsfaq.shtml

I know what MPLS is (and have used implementations from BT and other
suppliers) and I know what broadband is. But what is MPLS broadband? DSLAM
as a label switching router?

Zane.
Old June 18th 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Duncan Newell wrote:

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Duncan Newell" wrote in message

Can someone please explain (technically) how Multi Protocol Label
Switching (MPLS) broadband works, at work we have had this installed
so remote sites to us connect back to us, BT describe it as a form of
broadband but apparently it has no contention ratio as its direct.
Does anyone know how it works, is it just routed ? BT seem to be
installing normal lines that are enabled for broadband ( so the
engineers think ) also do these work same as ADSL so they can use a
phone on line as well ?

Have a read of http://www.mplsrc.com/mplsfaq.shtml

Regards
Sunil

Interesting FAQ. Do you know is this connected up the same at the exchange
end as if it was ADSL or differently ?

Answering in the general, I have no specific knowledge on this.
In principle, ADSL can be set up in many ways.
All of the varying services, from SDSL 2Mb/2Mb symmetric to ADSL 8Mb/256K
to ... are simply a connection back to the exchange.
There can be a phone connection installed at the same time over the
same line, or the phone bit can be turned off (this is usually done during
engineer installs, and the phone enabled seperately).

From there, the data goes over internal circuits in the exchange to
either BT IP-based networks, back to the ISP (or other end) or
rented ATM network capacity.

The ADSL connection to the exchange is little more than a means of
transferring an ATM network connection back over the phone line to the
exchange.
This is very, very flexible, and in principle could support all sorts of
services, for example being able to make private connections that do
not go over the wider internet to multimedia services (at the same time
that an internet conneciton is active to the ISP), or being able to
access different ISPs when yours goes down, or being able to make
data calls of a specified bandwidth to any similarly equipped subscriber.

However, some of these possibilities are ruled out either by BT
network design, or policy.
Old June 19th 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom Buchanan

"Steve" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:34:12 +0100, "Duncan Newell"
wrote:

Hi

Can someone please explain (technically) how Multi Protocol Label

Switching
(MPLS) broadband works, at work we have had this installed so remote

sites
to us connect back to us, BT describe it as a form of broadband but
apparently it has no contention ratio as its direct. Does anyone know

how
it works, is it just routed ? BT seem to be installing normal lines that

are
enabled for broadband ( so the engineers think ) also do these work same

as
ADSL so they can use a phone on line as well ?

It sounds like a IP-VPN based on MPLS (using RFC2547bis). The normal
lines you describe are access lines to the edge (PE) router.

This is a nice overview:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns...080143be0.html

I went to link and did a little research, and came up with this new product,
PaDSL from Thus.
http://www.let-it-be-thus.com/pdf/NE_THUS_3.pdf

Tom Buchanan

Old June 19th 04, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
shope

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
"Duncan Newell" wrote in message

Can someone please explain (technically) how Multi Protocol Label
Switching (MPLS) broadband works, at work we have had this installed
so remote sites to us connect back to us, BT describe it as a form of
broadband but apparently it has no contention ratio as its direct.
Does anyone know how it works, is it just routed ? BT seem to be
installing normal lines that are enabled for broadband ( so the
engineers think ) also do these work same as ADSL so they can use a
phone on line as well ?

Have a read of http://www.mplsrc.com/mplsfaq.shtml

Regards
Sunil

Interesting FAQ. Do you know is this connected up the same at the

exchange
end as if it was ADSL or differently ?

i work on a similar system.

The BT DSLAM has a backhaul via ATM or IP - which is used depends on how the
service was implemented by whoever provides the link - not sure if they are
separate connections or not.

our ADSL links to MPLS use ATM - it gives more control over contention
ratios, without having to limit IP MTU, and doesnt need to touch BTs IP
space.

so - typical use of an ADSL access line to get to MPLS in this case is:

LAN - CE router --- ADSL - DSLAM -- ATM -- PE router - MPLS core.

So the ADSL link to the DSLAM just carries IP over ATM as for normal BT
service (i think the ATM varient is called Datastream). any actual label
switching for MPLS happens from PE to PE and doesnt affect the ADSL link.

Have a look at SIN 347 on the BT specs web site
http://www.sinet.bt.com/

Duncan

--
Regards