Extending range of 802.11g between buildings...

Old June 18th 04, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Deblis

Default Extending range of 802.11g between buildings...

Hi,

I've got two buildings, seperated by about 60 metres of grass. In one
of them, (my office) I have BT Broadband with a Netgear DG834G box.

I would like to be able to use my laptop & other kit in the house,
about 60M from the office... its clear uninterupted line-of-sight...

If I place the DG834G by the office window, and my laptop with its
WG511T card by a house window, I just get a signal, but its highly
unreliable...

I suspect what I really need is a pair of directional aerials, or
aerials with boosters...

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced solution for this - I'm
prepared to use wall-mounted exterior aerials if I have to, and I
suspect I'll need uni-directional ones.

Advice (constructive that is) welcome....

Thanks

Mike
Old June 18th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced solution for this - I'm
prepared to use wall-mounted exterior aerials if I have to, and I
suspect I'll need uni-directional ones.

D-Link make directional exterior yagi antennae ANT24-1801 that would do the
job (One at each end of the link) but you need to check that you will not
exceed the legal power density limits and cause a radiation hazard.

Old June 18th 04, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default P.S.

They are not cheap!

Old June 18th 04, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul G

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
They are not cheap!

Not too bad at
http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-ou...-24.htm#24YAGI

Paul

Old June 18th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Thanks for that Paul!

Old June 18th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Deblis

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
I would start with a 14 dBi directional or similar on the router end
pointing at the house. That gives you about an extra 11 dB of signal,
you may need to reduce output power to stay within the EIRP limits.

There's an 8 dBi one for 20 at
http://www.solwise.co.uk/networkingwireless.htm

half of the hassle will be with connector matching.

Thanks for the pointer. I've a box load of SMA/SMC/N-type adaptors (about 25
N-SMA alone), so cable matching is not a problem...

I'll probably go for the slightly more expensive covered yagi as its less
offensive to the eye as we are in a listed building...

Can it be made another colour other than white? A rustic red would match the
kent-peg roof., or black for the weatherboarding...

Thanks

Mike

Old June 18th 04, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I'll probably go for the slightly more expensive covered yagi as its less
offensive to the eye as we are in a listed building...

Can it be made another colour other than white? A rustic red would match

the
kent-peg roof., or black for the weatherboarding...

As it is on a listed building you need planning approval. I should think
that you could mount then indoors with adequate results.