PDA and PC via wireless router?

Old June 19th 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default PDA and PC via wireless router?

Just a quick question I suspect someone will be able to answer.

I'm saving for a HP PDA which uses the 802.11b frequency but my wireless
router is currently set to work at 802.11g. Does this mean that I would have
to set the router to work at b thus meaning that the PC would also have to
work on the b protocol?

Gareth.

Old June 19th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Chung

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 17:00:41 +0100, Gareth wrote:

Just a quick question I suspect someone will be able to answer.

I'm saving for a HP PDA which uses the 802.11b frequency but my wireless
router is currently set to work at 802.11g. Does this mean that I would have
to set the router to work at b thus meaning that the PC would also have to
work on the b protocol?

Nope, should be fine. You may cause a little slowdown to the g devices
when the b device is using the network, but it shouldn't slow down to b
speeds, and you won't have to switch the router to work at b only.

--
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I
may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the
Old June 20th 04, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bowman

"Gareth" wrote in message
Just a quick question I suspect someone will be able to answer.

I'm saving for a HP PDA which uses the 802.11b frequency but my wireless
router is currently set to work at 802.11g. Does this mean that I would have
to set the router to work at b thus meaning that the PC would also have to
work on the b protocol?

I use my iPAQ 5550 with my Belkin 54g router with no problem at all, without
having to change any settings.

Bowman

Old June 20th 04, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

I've a wireless router networking two wireless PCs, one with a 802.11b card
and one with a 802.11g card. It recognises both and they work fine at the
two different speeds.

Old June 20th 04, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

"Gareth" wrote in message
Just a quick question I suspect someone will be able to answer.

I'm saving for a HP PDA which uses the 802.11b frequency but my wireless
router is currently set to work at 802.11g. Does this mean that I would

have
to set the router to work at b thus meaning that the PC would also have to
work on the b protocol?

Should be compatible but strangely when I got my handheld certain sites were
proving difficult to connect to (bank site). When I pinged the access point
from the handheld I was
getting a very high percentage of failed packets.

Just experimenting I altered the access point to 802.11b and the problem
resolved
itself and the failed pings dropped to virtually nil.

Geoff Lane