ADSL Broadband - Wireless router advice needed

Old June 19th 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Default ADSL Broadband - Wireless router advice needed

Hi,

I am looking to install broadband via ADSL and then network this around
the house to three computers wirelessly using a router.

I do not want to have to leave a computer on as a server, the router and
modem must be combined.

I've looked around on the Internet and have seen a router at: -

Would this be adequate?

I've been looking at broadband suppliers and again their seems to be a
lot of choice.
Could anyone reccommend one at 512k+ that has no bandwidth cap?

IaN
Old June 19th 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Ian" wrote in message

I am looking to install broadband via ADSL and then network this
around the house to three computers wirelessly using a router.

I do not want to have to leave a computer on as a server, the router
and modem must be combined.

I've looked around on the Internet and have seen a router at: -

Would this be adequate?

No, as it does not contain an ADSL modem, as well as the router.

Have a look at the following for examples of what you want:

Belkin 7630
Netgear 834G
USR 9106

I've been looking at broadband suppliers and again their seems to be a
lot of choice.
Could anyone reccommend one at 512k+ that has no bandwidth cap?

Have a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/.

However, there are several ISP's meeting your requirements, including:

Bulldog*
Pipex
Plusnet
Zen

*If you/anyone does decide to use Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral
code when signing up - just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under
"How did you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or by telephone.

Regards
Sunil

Old June 19th 04, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 16:00:36 +0000 (UTC), Ian
wrote:

Would this be adequate?

yes, its reviews there are positive too.

I've been looking at broadband suppliers and again their seems to be a
lot of choice.
Could anyone reccommend one at 512k+ that has no bandwidth cap?

Plusnet £22/month. NDO, Freedom to Surf about the same.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 19th 04, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

Would this be adequate?

No, as it does not contain an ADSL modem, as well as the router.

Make that a yes - I misread the description

Regards
Sunil

Old June 19th 04, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 18:49:03 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

No, as it does not contain an ADSL modem, as well as the router.

wrong. Read the reviews.

"It has everything:

- ADSL modem
- 4 port switch
- USB network connection
- Wireless networking
- Patch cable, USB cable, phone cable (small connectors)
- Good range, working from loft to distant ground floor (2 bars).

Worked great out of the box, no problems at all."

etc etc

Phil
Old June 19th 04, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"Ian" wrote in message
Hi,

I am looking to install broadband via ADSL and then network this around
the house to three computers wirelessly using a router.

I do not want to have to leave a computer on as a server, the router and
modem must be combined.

I've looked around on the Internet and have seen a router at: -

Would this be adequate?

I've been looking at broadband suppliers and again their seems to be a
lot of choice.
Could anyone reccommend one at 512k+ that has no bandwidth cap?

IaN

May I recommend toe Draytek 2600 series. Quality router/firewall. But a
little pricy. But you get what ytou pay for.

Old June 20th 04, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Paul Landregan wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message

Hi,

I am looking to install broadband via ADSL and then network this around
the house to three computers wirelessly using a router.

I do not want to have to leave a computer on as a server, the router and
modem must be combined.

I've looked around on the Internet and have seen a router at: -

Would this be adequate?

I've been looking at broadband suppliers and again their seems to be a
lot of choice.
Could anyone reccommend one at 512k+ that has no bandwidth cap?

IaN

May I recommend toe Draytek 2600 series. Quality router/firewall. But a
little pricy. But you get what ytou pay for.

My Vigor 2600We is now a excellent bit of kit, it works, and has uptime
measured in months... (used to be a POS before I loaded the newer 2.5.5
firmware thou...)

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old June 21st 04, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Landregan

"Black Shuck" wrote in message
Paul Landregan wrote:
"Ian" wrote in message

[...]

Same here the only time mine goes down is when I take it down.