Is there a better BT Exchange Distance Checker for DSL?

Old June 21st 04, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nigel. carron

Default Is there a better BT Exchange Distance Checker for DSL?

In message , Katz
writes
Lo folks,

I'm wondering if there is another way I can test this BT line of ours
for dsl availability. The standard postcode and phne number checker on
the btwholesale website says exchange is enabled but we r outside the
6km area.

I just want to make sure thats correct, and wonder if there is a sure
way of getting the exact distance. I know there used to be a way of
dialing 17070 etc but that doesnt seem to work, and I'm not even sure
if I'm allowed to do it!!

Any thoughts?
cheers
Katz

I can check the approximate distance with your exchange name and your
postcode - butas BT can run wires some strange ways not 100% accurate -
but can confirm whether you are def out of range or if its worth
investigating..

--
Nigel J Carron

Old June 22nd 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Katz

thx Nigel, sent you an email with details.

Old June 25th 04, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
"nigel. carron" writes:

In message , Katz
writes
Lo folks,

I'm wondering if there is another way I can test this BT line of ours
for dsl availability. The standard postcode and phne number checker on
the btwholesale website says exchange is enabled but we r outside the
6km area.

I just want to make sure thats correct, and wonder if there is a sure
way of getting the exact distance. I know there used to be a way of
dialing 17070 etc but that doesnt seem to work, and I'm not even sure
if I'm allowed to do it!!

I can check the approximate distance with your exchange name and your
postcode - butas BT can run wires some strange ways not 100% accurate -
but can confirm whether you are def out of range or if its worth
investigating..

What formula do you use to approximate cable distnace from straight line
distance? I use: multipy by square root of 2 and add 200m. However, I've
no sound basis for doing so, it just seems to have been roughly of the
right order in a very small number of cases I was able to check before
it disappeared off 17070.

--
Tim Clark