Voice over IP/Broadband

Old June 21st 04, 12:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Voice over IP/Broadband

What's the current state of voice over broadband/IP? I've read that it's
taken off in the States and was wondering what it's like in the UK.

Can you phone mobiles for free?
Is it going to be completely free? If not, how much do you think calls
will cost, to mobiles?
What's the line quality like? My only experience of it was listening to
someone making an international call and I could hardly hear the person
on the other end, but that was about 3 years ago.

TIA

DAB sounds worse than FM, Freeview, digital satellite, cable and
broadband internet radio

Old June 21st 04, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Hill

Steve uttered in :

What's the current state of voice over broadband/IP? I've read that it's
taken off in the States and was wondering what it's like in the UK.

Can you phone mobiles for free?
Is it going to be completely free? If not, how much do you think calls
will cost, to mobiles?
What's the line quality like? My only experience of it was listening to
someone making an international call and I could hardly hear the person
on the other end, but that was about 3 years ago.

VoIP, point to point, is free. All you need is a softphone (software phone)
at each end, and the appropriate holes punched in a firewall.

Calling landlines / mobiles will require that you register with some kind of
provider service. They gateway your call from your computer to the
standard phone network, and charge you the appropriate fee.

There are services like Free World Dialup (which has horrible latency) which
provide 'communities' of VoIP users. I talk to a friend in the USA using
VoIP quite frequently, and it works fine. Talk to my parents using VoIP
too.

--
Posting addr feeds straight to DCC and others. dhill + nana = cricalix ,
net for direct mail.
Old June 21st 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
G Amer

"Duncan Hill" wrote
There are services like Free World Dialup (which has horrible latency)

which
provide 'communities' of VoIP users. I talk to a friend in the USA using
VoIP quite frequently, and it works fine. Talk to my parents using VoIP
too.

Which VOIP service do you use. I was just going to embark upto FWD but you
mention the horible latency? How true is that?

A.Mer

Old June 21st 04, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

G Amer wrote:

"Duncan Hill" wrote

There are services like Free World Dialup (which has horrible latency)

which

provide 'communities' of VoIP users. I talk to a friend in the USA using
VoIP quite frequently, and it works fine. Talk to my parents using VoIP
too.

Which VOIP service do you use. I was just going to embark upto FWD but you
mention the horible latency? How true is that?

I'm currently testing Gossiptel on behalf of UK-Bug. Latency is not an
issue on Gossiptel.

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins

UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net
Old June 21st 04, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
G Amer

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote I'm currently
testing Gossiptel on behalf of UK-Bug.

Is gossiptel based on sip protocol? Can you call FWD users or Skype users?

Mer

Old June 21st 04, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

G Amer wrote:

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote I'm currently
testing Gossiptel on behalf of UK-Bug.

Is gossiptel based on sip protocol? Can you call FWD users or Skype users?

Yup .. seems so. Call FWD ? You mean just forward a caller to a 3rd
party number ? I thought most (all?) VoIP solutions did that - and
didnt think Gossiptel was anything special in doing this. Wrong ?

Old June 22nd 04, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
monkeying......

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
G Amer wrote:

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote I'm currently
testing Gossiptel on behalf of UK-Bug.

Is gossiptel based on sip protocol? Can you call FWD users or Skype

users?

Yup .. seems so. Call FWD ? You mean just forward a caller to a 3rd
party number ? I thought most (all?) VoIP solutions did that - and
didnt think Gossiptel was anything special in doing this. Wrong ?

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins

UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net

Ummm he means FWD....Free World Dialup

---

Old June 22nd 04, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Steve:
Can you phone mobiles for free?

DREAM ON...
They paid £22b to the gov. for their licences, WE will be re-paying that
with interest for decades !
Regards,
Martin

Old June 22nd 04, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Andy M Jenkins:
Yup .. seems so. Call FWD ? You mean just forward a caller to a 3rd
party number ?

HEY, WAKE UP at the back !
Find out what Free World Dialup and SKYPE is before reporting tour tests...
Regards,
Martin

Old June 22nd 04, 04:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Martin² wrote:
Andy M Jenkins:

Yup .. seems so. Call FWD ? You mean just forward a caller to a 3rd
party number ?

HEY, WAKE UP at the back !
Find out what Free World Dialup and SKYPE is before reporting tour tests...
Regards,
Martin

In my defence, this was the first time I'd seen this abbriviation in utb.

Still, I'll get my coat.