ADSL router & wireless recommendations

Old June 21st 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Roberts

Default ADSL router & wireless recommendations

A colleague has just bought a Dell desktop and laptop, and has signed up
with the Wanadoo broadband offering which comes with a free ADSL modem.

Can someone recommend a reasonably-priced router which can go with a
wireless set-up for the laptop? I'm presuming the desktop can connect
directly to the router, so it's only the laptop which needs a wireless
connection. It's a deliberately simple set-up which is very unlikely to
expand, so I don't need to go over the top with the configuration.

TIA

Old June 21st 04, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Paul Roberts" wrote in message

A colleague has just bought a Dell desktop and laptop, and has signed
up with the Wanadoo broadband offering which comes with a free ADSL
modem.

The free modem will be a USB one..

Can someone recommend a reasonably-priced router which can go with a
wireless set-up for the laptop? I'm presuming the desktop can connect
directly to the router, so it's only the laptop which needs a wireless
connection. It's a deliberately simple set-up which is very unlikely
to expand, so I don't need to go over the top with the configuration.

Something like the Belkin F5D7630uk4A would be ideal.

Both computers can connect to it and then use the internet independantly.

The free USB modem would not be needed, as the Belkin contains an ADSL modem
as well - though you could keep it as a spare.

The way you are suggesting would mean the desktop would have to be
on/connected to the net for the laptop to use the net - probably not ideal.

Regards
Sunil

Old June 21st 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

[...]

I think I wasn't clear in my original post - I'm expecting the desktop to be
permanently (and physically) connected to the router, and the laptop to be
wirelessly connected to the router. Is that clearer?

Old June 21st 04, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Trent SC" wrote in message

I think I wasn't clear in my original post - I'm expecting the
desktop to be permanently (and physically) connected to the router,
and the laptop to be wirelessly connected to the router. Is that
clearer?

Perfectly - perhaps I wasn't as clear as I could be (want to watch the
football etc)

There are two "types" of router - ones with a "built in" ADSL modem and ones
without.

I am suggesting you buy a router with a "built in" ADSL modem.

If you buy a router *without* a "built in" ADSL modem, then the router can
be attached as you desire but the laptop won't be able to access the
internet, unless the desktop machine is on.

This is because your colleague (in this case) would be using the free USB
modem to connect to the internet - which needs the desktop to be on for
power etc..

On the other hand, if you buy a router with a "built-in" ADSL modem, the PC
can still be connected directly to the router(as you plan) but it also means
the laptop can be used to access the internet even if the desktop is off.

Buying a router with a "built-in" ADSL modem would mean that the USB modem
is spare/unneeded as the router includes one.

Also, the price between a router with an ADSL modem and one without isn't
normally that different - hence the Belkin model I suggested.

Hope that is clearer!

Regards
Sunil

Old June 21st 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stewart Norriss

Hi There

If you check out the adslguide.org you will find great independant reviews
and documents on just the devices you are talking about.

You are correct that you can connect you PC to the router and then use the
wireless for your laptop.

Regards,

Old June 22nd 04, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:46:57 +0100, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

Something like the Belkin F5D7630uk4A would be ideal.

Or indeed the Netgear DG834G which I use and I am happy to recommend
it.

I nearly bought the Belkin but it did not appear to support VPN
passthru, something which was (sort of) confirmed by Belkin pre-sales
support.
Old June 22nd 04, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 23:46:41 +0100, "Stewart Norriss"
wrote:

If you check out the adslguide.org you will find great independant reviews
and documents on just the devices you are talking about.

The reviews there are excellent and thorough - but they are rather out
of date. On the understanding that we are talking about ADSL
modem/router/wireless only many are of products which have either been
replaced by newer models or been discontinued (such as the D-Link and
Netgear offerings) and there are notable omissions, such as anything
from Linksys, Belkin, Buffalo, 3Com and USR. Big names missing there.
Old June 27th 04, 05:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 21 Jun 2004, "Sunil Sood" wrote:

On the other hand, if you buy a router with a "built-in" ADSL modem, the PC
can still be connected directly to the router(as you plan) but it also means
the laptop can be used to access the internet even if the desktop is off.

You know, and I know, that that Belkin model has sockets for up to 4 RJ45
connections, as well as being a wireless unit, and having router and ADSL
modem functions, all in one pretty small, hot box :-) Peter M.
Old June 29th 04, 02:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"poster" wrote in message

You know, and I know, that that Belkin model has sockets for up to 4
RJ45 connections, as well as being a wireless unit, and having router
and ADSL modem functions, all in one pretty small, hot box :-)
Peter M.

lol - but does the OP

Regards
Sunil