Long Reach and Rural Broadband

Old June 23rd 04, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Netcom mbickers

Default Long Reach and Rural Broadband

Some hope for the future in this article released at SuperComm 2004 in the
States. Way off yet for UK trials I suspect, but a glimmer of hope.

http://www.telecomflash.com/default....r=2004&month=6

Old June 26th 04, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:37:02 +0100, "Netcom mbickers"
wrote:

Some hope for the future in this article released at SuperComm 2004 in the
States. Way off yet for UK trials I suspect, but a glimmer of hope.

http://www.telecomflash.com/default....r=2004&month=6

A very interesting article. BTW, I have often wondered why BT don't
use twin pairs to decrease line loss. Yes, you would have to pay for a
second line but ISDN subscribers do this already.

Possibly more hopeful is WiMax which BT are trialing in Ballingry in
Fife, Scotland, Pwllheli in Wales, Porthleven in England and Campsie
in Northern Ireland. (See
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04...s_wimax_forum/) 27th
April 2004.)
(See also:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01...tipping_point/
27th January 2004 for more info about WiMax)

Here are 2 snippets from this article:
"WiMAX technologies have considerable potential as extensions to our
broadband offerings in the UK," said Mick Reeve, BT's Group Technology
Officer, in a statement. "We believe interoperability will be
important in this area and we are pleased to be part of the WiMAX
Forum in shaping the technologies and how they are used."

"For fixed-line telcos, WiMAX provides a way of competing with mobile
networks for rural users' data needs. Some see it as a chance to bring
wireless broadband to market ahead of the mass roll-out of 3G
services."

Phil

P.S. Does anyone know of any feedback from the 4 WiMax trials by BT?
Old June 26th 04, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Netcom mbickers

"Phil" wrote in message
s.com...
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:37:02 +0100, "Netcom mbickers"
A very interesting article. BTW, I have often wondered why BT don't
use twin pairs to decrease line loss. Yes, you would have to pay for a
second line but ISDN subscribers do this already.

ISDN is delivered over a single pair, the two 'B' Channels and the 'D'
channel are a function of how ISDN works?

Possibly more hopeful is WiMax which BT are trialing in Ballingry in
Fife, Scotland, Pwllheli in Wales, Porthleven in England and Campsie
in Northern Ireland. (See

Yes, but this is a Wireless as opposed to a wired solution. It has
significant merits, but still some problems for widescale distribution
across the UK. E.g. it is unlikely to solve my particular problem in not
being able to get Broadband! The exchange I'm on is part of the 0.4% not
being upgraded to deliver ADSL - The only exchange in Herfordshire so
affected. It looks like an expensive satelite link is my only option.

Maurice

Old June 26th 04, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:07:52 GMT, Phil
wrote:

Yes, you would have to pay for a
second line but ISDN subscribers do this already.

they may be paying more but there's only one physical
line involved.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !