Problem with Broadband router [long]

Old June 23rd 04, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stormsinger

Default Problem with Broadband router [long]

Posted separately to both u.c.home-networking and uk.telecom.broadband as I'm not
sure which is the better group to ask this in.

My setup:

2 desktop PC's both fast machines running WinXP Pro SP1 and one laptop running WinXP
Home. A laser printer with a network card, an 8 port Net-Lynx switch.

The network IP addresses are all set manually (primarily because that way I know what
is what), and also because the printer NIC can only accept manual setup. The network
works fine, all machines see each other, all can use the printer, files can be sent
from one to another and so on.
Originally I had an ISDN router attached to the switch and all machines could access
the Internet when that dialled in. Again the gateway was manually set on each
machine.

We've just got broadband, and so I bought a broadband router. I had problems setting
it up initially as I couldn't access it over the LAN, but I got round this by
attaching to its USB port and accessing it that way. I turned off the DHCP server in
the router and then found that I could access it over the LAN and access the
internet.

The router is a ZOOM ADSL X4 modem/router/gateway/firewall

Essentially the problem is as follows:

I can have everything working fine - network, net access etc. I can turn the
computers off, and back on again and still everything seems okay. However if I leave
the machines off for any period of time when I boot up again I lose internet access.
(The router is always left switched on and connected).

I can usually access the router over the network after losing internet access like
this (although sometimes I get access permission denied from it), and the connection
comes up as connected "Showtime" in ZOOM speak, but my computers can't access the
internet.

Sometimes things will suddenly spring into life - once this occurred as I turned on
my second PC, on other occasions I've needed to reset the modem, hook up the USB
connection again and go through a setup process - even then it can take a while for
things to work again. It is almost as if something in the router times out or goes to
sleep while there is no computer attached to it. If I leave my computer on then
internet access is fine with no loss.

I am okay with networking , but I know little about the finer points of setting up
the NAT firewall in the router. I'm also running ZoneAlarm Pro on my PCs but this
doesn't seem to be having an effect as turning it off makes no difference either way.

Help and advice much appreciated here.
--
Email addy is a spam trap - Spam will go to a spammer
Please post in the group to reply.
Old June 23rd 04, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Smith

stormsinger wrote in message
snip
I can have everything working fine - network, net access etc. I can turn

the
computers off, and back on again and still everything seems okay. However

if I leave
the machines off for any period of time when I boot up again I lose

internet access.
(The router is always left switched on and connected).

Are you sure you are losing the Internet or just the DNS servers? Have you
setup the DNS IP on each PC or are you relying on the broadcasts from the
modem?

To check if you really have lost the Internet from a "broken" PC, open a DOS
command console and ping a real Internet IP address and look at the
results.

Old June 24th 04, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stormsinger

"John Smith" wrote:

stormsinger wrote in message
.. .
snip
I can have everything working fine - network, net access etc. I can turn

the
computers off, and back on again and still everything seems okay. However

if I leave
the machines off for any period of time when I boot up again I lose

internet access.
(The router is always left switched on and connected).

Are you sure you are losing the Internet or just the DNS servers? Have you
setup the DNS IP on each PC or are you relying on the broadcasts from the
modem?

To check if you really have lost the Internet from a "broken" PC, open a DOS
command console and ping a real Internet IP address and look at the
results.

Next time I need to turn off the PC and lose the connection I'll try this. Thanks for
the reply.

Old June 24th 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Stormsinger . wrote:
"John Smith" wrote:

stormsinger wrote in message