BB on fibre

Old June 23rd 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlotte

Default BB on fibre

Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of broadband, but a line check on bt.com says I'm
being provided by a special fibre cable. Its a new house and it does use a
fibre optic from the line box to the junction box at the end of the road.
From there, I assume its probably copper.

Can bb be carried on the fibre cable?

Old June 23rd 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Charlotte wrote:
Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of broadband, but a line check on bt.com says I'm
being provided by a special fibre cable. Its a new house and it does use a
fibre optic from the line box to the junction box at the end of the road.
From there, I assume its probably copper.

Can bb be carried on the fibre cable?

Sounds like your talking about TPON. There was a recent update from BT
with regards to TPONed lines.

Latest TPON update @ http://snipurl.com/7adw

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins

UK Broadband Usergroup http://www.uk-bug.net
Old June 23rd 04, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Charlotte wrote:
Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of broadband, but a line check on bt.com says

I'm
being provided by a special fibre cable. Its a new house and it does use

fibre optic from the line box to the junction box at the end of the

road.
From there, I assume its probably copper.

Can bb be carried on the fibre cable?

Sounds like your talking about TPON. There was a recent update from BT
with regards to TPONed lines.

I thought TRON worked the other way round, I mean copper from the roadside
cabinet to the customer premises, and fibre the rest of the way to the
exchange.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 23rd 04, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Newell

"Graham" wrote in message ...

Charlotte wrote:
Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of broadband, but a line check on bt.com says

I'm
being provided by a special fibre cable. Its a new house and it does

use
fibre optic from the line box to the junction box at the end of the

road.
From there, I assume its probably copper.

Can bb be carried on the fibre cable?

Sounds like your talking about TPON. There was a recent update from BT
with regards to TPONed lines.

I thought TRON worked the other way round, I mean copper from the roadside
cabinet to the customer premises, and fibre the rest of the way to the
exchange.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Its the exchange that's TPON'd ( or telephony over passive optical
networks ), its possible for BT to do what's known as "copper overlay" which
means BT come along and lay copper cables, and hopefully, your exchange will
be one of them. It was thought ( many years ago ) that fibre was the future
and the best way to go, then along came ADSL and woooo ADSL don't like TPON
at all !

It was cheaper and easier for BT to lay one slim fibre optic cable instead
of lots of copper wire pairs. It was also done to resolve problems such as
line length and capacity. If you request ADSL and your on TPON BT's policy
is ( correct me if i am wrong ) to attempt to reserve you the next available
copper pair ( should there be one )

It basically means that the equipment connected to your line is not in an
exchange, but somewhere nearer your house (street cabinet). Fibre cable is
used to get to this equipment, located in a cabinet somewhere near you. ADSL
is only currently installed in the exchange, not in these remote locations.
PON means Passive Optical Network, describing the way the fibre is
connected, TPON is a BT system.

If you tell me what area your in ( if you know your exchange ) then i have a
document that has "some" listed that are due to be upgraded and took off
TPON.

Thanks,
Duncan Newell

Old June 24th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlotte

"Duncan Newell" wrote in message

"Graham" wrote in message

Charlotte wrote:
Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of broadband, but a line check on bt.com

says
I'm
being provided by a special fibre cable. Its a new house and it does

use
fibre optic from the line box to the junction box at the end of the

road.
From there, I assume its probably copper.

[...]

Its the East Kilbride exchange.

Thanks,

Old June 24th 04, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Charlotte wrote:

Its the East Kilbride exchange.

This exchange has an ETA for copper of 31st August.