Best to switch off router when not used?

Old June 23rd 04, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kris

Default Best to switch off router when not used?

I've had BB for 3 weeks with a DLink 504.
Although the computers are switched off after use
the router has been left on continuously.
But I've noticed a gradual slowing down of the
internet, turning off / on the router, power and adsl,
and speed seems to have been restored.
Is this coincidence or do routers ( like freeview boxes
in my experience ! ) need a reset occasionally?

Chris

Old June 23rd 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock Mackirdy

In article , Kris wrote:
I've had BB for 3 weeks with a DLink 504.
Although the computers are switched off after use
the router has been left on continuously.
But I've noticed a gradual slowing down of the
internet, turning off / on the router, power and adsl,
and speed seems to have been restored.
Is this coincidence or do routers ( like freeview boxes
in my experience ! ) need a reset occasionally?

My Belkin (used with NTL) has quite happily gone for months
without being turned off. I have to reboot it (and the modem)
once in a blue moon when something locks up.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old June 24th 04, 06:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn

Some crappy routers do seem to exhibit the problems you explain, but its
not a general problem with a half decent router.

Agreed, my EN 5861 has been switched on for two years without a reboot and
deliveres consistant dl speeds.

Maybe a firmware update will fix it, but if not then I guess your'll

either have to keep
power cycling it or replace it with a decent one.

Martyn

Old June 24th 04, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:19:16 +0100, "Kris"
wrote:

I've had BB for 3 weeks with a DLink 504.
Although the computers are switched off after use
the router has been left on continuously.
But I've noticed a gradual slowing down of the
internet, turning off / on the router, power and adsl,
and speed seems to have been restored.
Is this coincidence or do routers ( like freeview boxes
in my experience ! ) need a reset occasionally?

Chris

Dodgy firmware might well be a cause for this - in general you should
not have such problems. I occasionally find my computer loses the
connection to the router, but it's the computer which needs to be
reset. I've not bothered investigating this issue seriously as I will
be performing an upgrade to the router firmware within the next few
weeks (I know there have been issues with dropped connections that
some people have experienced with the same router / firmware
combination that I have). It is quite rare and causes me little
trouble.

Re-booting the router is even more rare.