ADSL in non active BT line

Old June 23rd 04, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DH

Default ADSL in non active BT line

Friend is just moving to house with a BT line that has a dead tone, he is
trying to get/find out what was the number as it was disconnected and not
taken away, the line or number.

Is it possible to have non BT ISP ADSL connected without the voice line
being activated?

He don't need BT voice just ADSL!

Old June 24th 04, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

No!

Old June 24th 04, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

No!

Yes!

You could have a fault condition; no dialtone, no 48V battery feed but ADSL
working perfectly.
But of course BT would never provision such a service deliberately as a
matter of policy and that's what you are eluding to.
So I guess your answer is right.

73's

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 24th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DH

"Graham" wrote in message

No!

Yes!

You could have a fault condition; no dialtone, no 48V battery feed but

ADSL
working perfectly.
But of course BT would never provision such a service deliberately as a
matter of policy and that's what you are eluding to.
So I guess your answer is right.

73's

Graham.

Interesting! reason I ask is I have a disconected BT line that still has BB
running on it.

Is that a BT mistake!

Old June 24th 04, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

DH wrote:

: Interesting! reason I ask is I have a disconected BT line that still has BB
: running on it.

: Is that a BT mistake!

Yes! ADSL charges never cover the basic line rental (they could, in theory,
do so - but currently don't)

Old June 24th 04, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gus

Interesting! reason I ask is I have a disconected BT line that still has

BB
running on it.

Is that a BT mistake!

more like work scheduling, the BT engineer has to go to the exchange to
disconnect the ADSL, it will happen eventually. So best pay the bill before
you have to reconnect both, phone reconnection is around 25 and ADSL the
full fee of 55 ex vat, add on any ISP admin charges for it as well and you
have a nice summer time bill and no ADSL coming

Old June 24th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Interesting! reason I ask is I have a disconected BT line that still has

BB
running on it.

Is that a BT mistake!

I suspect this happens quite often!
As Gus suggests, your telephone service is cut off at a call-centre maybe
hundreds of miles away with a few deft key strokes
For BT to cut off your ADSL requires an engineer to remove the jumpering to
the DSLAM on the distribution frame.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 24th 04, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

wrote in message

So in theory one could tell BT what to do with their (from next month)
expencive phone line and still keep ones adsl connection !.

Only until a BT engineer goes to your exchange and physically disconnects
your line from the DSLAM - as per the automated "work order" that the system
would have generated when BT disconencted your voice line..

Maybe a week or two ?

Regards
Sunil