Surge protection

Old June 24th 04, 01:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
KerplunKuK

Default Surge protection

Should I surge protect my ADSL line as I did with a standard v90 modem?
Thanks

--
REMOVE BOLTS to reply
Victoria Concordia Crescit

Old June 24th 04, 06:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"KerplunKuK" wrote
in message ...
Should I surge protect my ADSL line as I did with a

standard v90 modem?
Thanks

since ADSL uses the same physical line as your dial-up, yes
;-)

P.

Old June 24th 04, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:52:10 +0100, "PJB" wrote:

"KerplunKuK" wrote
in message ...
Should I surge protect my ADSL line as I did with a

standard v90 modem?
Thanks

since ADSL uses the same physical line as your dial-up, yes
;-)

P.

I would like to hear from an end user that these pieces of equipment
actually do what they say on the tin. Cynically I believe that you
are actually bying an insurance policy to replace the equipment
damaged through a 'faulty' protector . Observation and comments would
be appreciated.

David Bradley
Old June 24th 04, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

David Bradley wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:52:10 +0100, "PJB" wrote:

"KerplunKuK" wrote
in message ...

Should I surge protect my ADSL line as I did with a

standard v90 modem?

Thanks

since ADSL uses the same physical line as your dial-up, yes
;-)

P.

I would like to hear from an end user that these pieces of equipment
actually do what they say on the tin. Cynically I believe that you
are actually bying an insurance policy to replace the equipment
damaged through a 'faulty' protector . Observation and comments would
be appreciated.

You get what you pay for.

If you want real surge protection, one of these power distribution
thingies with a bit of filtering on ain't going to cut it. You'll need
something industrial grade, the kind of thing companies install to
protect chemical plants and the like, and get it installed properly with
solid earths etc.. There are only a couple of companies in the world who
makes these kinds of producs.

Having no relationship with them now, I can recomend Telematic equipment
(there are various re-badges), I use to be the chief engineer of their
parent company.

http://www.mtlsurgetechnologies.com/...ork/matrix.htm

David Bradley

Old June 24th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Martin wrote:
David Bradley wrote:

[...]

Or cheat.
It's really, really hard to get spikes coming through the ADSL line
to harm your computer if you use a wireless network.
Old June 24th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Ian Stirling wrote:

Martin wrote:

David Bradley wrote:

[...]

True Get a new router and wireless hub. 200 quid every 10 years, or
200 quid for a surge protector?

I'd go more for play the odds

I don't have a surge protector because it's really not needed (and I
could get them for free). One potential strike every 10 years is not a
worry to me. I DO have a UPS because power cuts occur 10 times a year,
if only for a few seconds

Worry about the big things and the little things take care of
themselves. Then if you really think it's worth it worry about the
little things.