Preventing telephone access from broadband point

Old June 24th 04, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Pentreath

Default Preventing telephone access from broadband point

I have a house with the BT master socket in the loft, and cat5 cables
going from there via a patch panel to different rooms around the
house. I have replaced the front of the master with one of these
filters:
http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html

What I want to do is to be able to send a broadband signal to some of
the sockets in the house without there being access to the telephone
there. Is this possible? Is there some sort of filter which will
filter out the telephone signal altogether?

Many thanks for any ideas,

Martin
Old June 24th 04, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
om...
I have a house with the BT master socket in the loft, and cat5 cables
going from there via a patch panel to different rooms around the
house. I have replaced the front of the master with one of these
filters:
http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html

What I want to do is to be able to send a broadband signal to some of
the sockets in the house without there being access to the telephone
there. Is this possible? Is there some sort of filter which will
filter out the telephone signal altogether?

Many thanks for any ideas,

Martin

Why not just use non-standard socket wiring. Eg. wire the pair to pins 2&3
instead of the usual 2&5 and use a flylead to your modem wired accordingly
ie, crossover.

Years ago I used the same technique on payphone points in case anyone tried
to plug in a regular phone. Of course they might disconnect the RJ11 from
the modem and connect it to the phone directly, but you could cut off the
tail of the retaining clip to make that more difficult.

I f you want to experiment I would suggest you try a 1nF capacitor in each
leg of the cable going to your 'adsl only' sockets that will block the d.c.
so a phone could never seize the line. I suspect the adsl signal would get
through unhindered but I haven't tried it.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 24th 04, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 21:37:36 +0100, "Graham" strung
together this:

but you could cut off the
tail of the retaining clip to make that more difficult.

I missed the OP but the way we used to restrict access to certain
plugging and unplugging of data and telephone cabling was to just use
RJ45\11 connectors everywhere and cut the end off the clips. Not
foolproof but stopped anybody idly fiddling.

To the OP, why do you want to do this? Couldn't you just unplug the
other end of the lead from the patch panel to prevent anyone plugging
phones in when modems aren't used?
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old June 24th 04, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Warby

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 03:44:15 -0700, Martin Pentreath wrote:

I have a house with the BT master socket in the loft, and cat5 cables
going from there via a patch panel to different rooms around the house. I
have replaced the front of the master with one of these filters:
http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/ADSL_Installation.html

What I want to do is to be able to send a broadband signal to some of the
sockets in the house without there being access to the telephone there. Is
this possible? Is there some sort of filter which will filter out the
telephone signal altogether?

Many thanks for any ideas,

Martin

Why not put an ethernet router in the loft and only connect the outputs of
this (and a hub if required) to the cat 5,this has the advatage that all
points in the house can use broadband at the same time.

Martin Warby

Old June 24th 04, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Graham" wrote in message

I f you want to experiment I would suggest you try a 1nF capacitor in
each leg of the cable going to your 'adsl only' sockets that will
block the d.c. so a phone could never seize the line. I suspect the
adsl signal would get through unhindered but I haven't tried it.

1nF is probably too small - I'd try at least 100nF maybe as much as 1uF.
The reactance of100nF at 20kHz is 80 ohms.