NetGear DG834G's Firewall

Old June 24th 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default NetGear DG834G's Firewall

I friend is trying to send me email from an Orange email address in the
format: -

It is bouncing back to him and I'm not sure if it's the firewall that is
blocking this or my Isp - Pipex. I have a 1mb extreme connection.

I have asked him to let me have the text from the emails he's receiving from
orange, but he's having difficulty sending them to me, without me going to
the trouble of setting up a hotmail addy for example.

Given I'm unsure how the Firewall has been set up, ie; what it's been
programmed to block, I wonder could someone shed some light on what might be
the problem please?

TIA

Paul

This footnote confirms that this email message
has been swept by Norton AntiVirus for the
presence of computer viruses.

This computer is protected
by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

Old June 24th 04, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Paul" wrote in message
I friend is trying to send me email from an Orange email

address in the
format: -

It is bouncing back to him and I'm not sure if it's the

firewall that is
blocking this or my Isp - Pipex. I have a 1mb extreme

connection.

I have asked him to let me have the text from the emails

he's receiving from
orange, but he's having difficulty sending them to me,

without me going to
the trouble of setting up a hotmail addy for example.

Given I'm unsure how the Firewall has been set up, ie;

what it's been
programmed to block, I wonder could someone shed some

light on what might be
the problem please?

if you don't have problems with email from other sources,
I'd say it's probably an ISP issue, but without the bounce
msg he's getting, it's difficult to tell.

P.

Old June 24th 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Welham

Paul

its not really much effort to sent the bounced email to another address
now is it !!!!

any way unless your hosting the smtp sever then the firewall will not
cause this problem . Far more likely to be wrong email address

Andrew

Paul wrote:
[...]

To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .
moc(tod)xepip(tod)lsd(ta)spuorgswen_werdna
Old June 25th 04, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Wizzo

"Paul" wrote in message
I friend is trying to send me email from an Orange email address in the
format: -

It is bouncing back to him and I'm not sure if it's the firewall that is
blocking this or my Isp - Pipex. I have a 1mb extreme connection.

I have asked him to let me have the text from the emails he's receiving

from
orange, but he's having difficulty sending them to me, without me going to
the trouble of setting up a hotmail addy for example.

Given I'm unsure how the Firewall has been set up, ie; what it's been
programmed to block, I wonder could someone shed some light on what might

be
the problem please?

TIA

Is he sending it from a PC or from a mobile? if its from a mobile its
possibly just mobile network problems I dabbled with email on my mobile and
it was a pain, if he is trying to send attachments, ie pictures from a
camera phone, most phones seem to have problems sending more than 30 or 40Kb
or so it seems to me anyways.

Old June 26th 04, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:09:37 +0100, "Paul"
wrote:

I friend is trying to send me email from an Orange email address in the
format: -

It is bouncing back to him and I'm not sure if it's the firewall that is
blocking this or my Isp - Pipex. I have a 1mb extreme connection.

I doubt your firewall is blocking SMTP from specific senders, it won't
be that complicated. I'd wager my, erm, wages on a Pipex or Orange
configuration error. Like others say, without the bounce text it's
impossible to say.

Richard
Old June 27th 04, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

At last I can post the transcript of the "failure Message" : -

From: Internet Mail Delivery
Date: Mon Mar 29 11:27:45 BST 2004
Subject: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed

This report relates to a message you sent with the following header

fields:
(iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 (built Feb 21 2002))
id ; Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:27:45

+0100 (BST)
by sprite.orange.co.uk (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 (built Feb 21

2002))
with ESMTP id for

;
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:27:34 +0100 (BST)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 11:27:57 +0100 (BST)
From: Shane Hare
Subject: Test... See if it fails.

boundary="Boundary_(ID_BdkXAjxocLzaSkRIOCAmsw)"
Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:
Recipient address:

Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address
Diagnostic code: smtp;504 sprite: Helo command rejected: need

fully-qualified hostname
Remote system: dns;funhouse.systems.pipex.net

(funhouse.systems.pipex.net ESMTP Postfix)

I would be grateful for an interpretation relating to my initial posting
please.

TAIA

Paul