OT - Odd BT Home Highway question

Old June 25th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rifleman

Default OT - Odd BT Home Highway question

Here's the setup - my wife connects to BT Click (in order to get on to her
company VPN) using the BT-supplied USB software and cable .(Compaq laptop).
I connect to the same box, (different dialup - NDO) via a Terminal Adapter
and Cat 5 cable. (Toshiba laptop). Both running Windows XP SP1.

This is what appears to happen - wife dials up and all connectivity is OK. I
switch my laptop on, (not connected) and her connectivity appears to slow
down. If I am dialled up, she has great difficulty in going on line. if SHE
is already dialled up, I have no difficulty in going on line or with
connectivity.

Any one else experienced this? Could it be a problem with the BT Home
Highway box, or the Compaq setup? (I'm not overly impressed with the Compaq
and the way it has been set up by her IT dept anyway)

Ta.

Old June 25th 04, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:01:11 +0100, Rifleman wrote:

[...]

Hi,

The only explanation I can think of that makes sense is that your Terminal
Adapter is trying to monopolise the D-Channel of the Home Highway. (ISDN
is made up of 3 channels, 2 64k carrying the data and a 3rd that is
permanently connected to the exchange that does the dialling and sets up
channel bonding). Even if the Terminal Adapter isn't trying to dial,
because the D-Channel is permanently connected it may be sending data down
it which interferes with the USB cable.

--
Regards,

Old June 25th 04, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rev Adrian Kennard

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

[...]

I would seriously doubt that. It sounds like something is actually wrong.

Unlike modems or ADSL where the "quality" of a link can be subject to
"interference" from other factors, ISDN and USB are meant to operate
with no bit errors in normal use or be susceptible to normal RFI levels.

[Modems and ADSL are designed to make the most of an analogue signal
path and "the most" will depend on factors including interference, and
so being affected by such interference is "normal", albeit a nuisance]

As for monopolising the D-channel, that is used for call set up, and not
something that would or even could be monopolised.

Something is probably wrong with the equipment or the cables, IMHO.
Old June 25th 04, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:59:46 +0100, Rev Adrian Kennard wrote:

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

[...]

That does make more sense than my idea, I was just remembering something
from a long time back where a customer had a router and a TA connected to
the line at the same time and had a similar problem.

Old June 26th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil McKerracher

"Rifleman" wrote in message
[...]

How long is the cable to your Toshiba laptop? If it's more than 3m that
might be the problem. If it runs close to a mains cable or a cordless phone
that could also cause it.

It could also be interference from your laptop. If the problem goes away
when it's running on batteries then it's coming from the mains connection.
If not, it's harder to fix - an inductor clamped around the CAT5 cable might
help. Changing your wife's connection from USB to S-bus might help, but
might be expensive.

Another possible solution is an ISDN router, with the laptops connected to
it by ethernet. Also relatively expensive, but you would save phone call
costs because you could share one call between the two machines.

--
Phil McKerracher
www.mckerracher.org

Old June 26th 04, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon

"Phil McKerracher" wrote in message
news

"Rifleman" wrote in message
[...]

1.8 m from the TA to the HH box

It could also be interference from your laptop. If the problem goes away
when it's running on batteries then it's coming from the mains connection.

Didn't think of that - I'll try that next time.

If not, it's harder to fix - an inductor clamped around the CAT5 cable

might
help. Changing your wife's connection from USB to S-bus might help, but
might be expensive.

Another possible solution is an ISDN router, with the laptops connected to
it by ethernet. Also relatively expensive, but you would save phone call
costs because you could share one call between the two machines.

If it's none of the above - I think we'll just wear it until we get
broadband - we are on one of the exchanges that are being adapted by summer
2005, so not sure yet when that will be. (Can't wait - we apparently have a
2 MBit-capable line! And it will be the end of this odd problem!)

Old June 27th 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 25 Jun 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, PlusNet Support Team wrote:

The only explanation I can think of that makes sense is that your Terminal
Adapter is trying to monopolise the D-Channel of the Home Highway.

I cannot xplain the slowing down aspect, but know some of the routers I've
tried only seem to be able to make a connection if the first channel isn't
already in use. If a call is already present, the router fails to connect
(even though there's one channel free). It might be some setting in this
router, and doesn't now concern me so much as I have ADSL on other lines.