BT broadband to gets thru LAN, but then can't be used?

Old June 25th 04, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

Default BT broadband to gets thru LAN, but then can't be used?

Can anyone help with this problem. I've got a standard BT Broadband at
home, which seems to be working fine. Broadband goes happily into the
main PC (Xp Home). There's a hub supplying another desktop and a
laptop. These connections all work fine for file and printer sharing
etc. I seem to have got "Broadband" to arrive at both using ICS -
there's the little icon in the bottom right corner alongside the Local
Area Connection on all three machines, and I can even turn off the
main connection to Broadband from either LAN machine. Something seems
to be connected. BUT I just can't get Internet Explorer on either LAN
machine to use the Broadband connection. I've tried all sorts of
options in Internet Options, then Connections in Internet Explorer.
Currently they are set for "Never dial a connection", and then nothing
ticked under LAN settings.

There's Zone Alarm running on the primary machine, but it has got
these addresses for these two machines as trusted zones (I think)!

I am really puzzled by this. Perhaps BT Broadband somehow simply won't
let me do this? Anyone got any thoughts or suggestion? I'll be very
grateful. Many thanks! Rob
Old June 25th 04, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Roberts

[...]

Can you enter the IP address of a web site and get a result? If so, then
the issue appears to be a DNS one on the connected PCs rather than at the
hub/router. You might need to enter the DNS servers of your host PC's ISP
connection into the connected PC's LAN settings.

Old June 25th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wray

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
snip

There's Zone Alarm running on the primary machine, but it has got
these addresses for these two machines as trusted zones (I think)!

The latest version of Zone Alarm doesn't work well with ICS.
I had it working fine with the previous versions but give up and bought
myself a router

--
Stephen Wray

A sine curve goes off until infinity or the end of a blackboard
www.stephen-wray.co.uk

Old June 25th 04, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:37:56 +0100, "Stephen Wray"
wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
. com...
snip

There's Zone Alarm running on the primary machine, but it has got
these addresses for these two machines as trusted zones (I think)!

The latest version of Zone Alarm doesn't work well with ICS.
I had it working fine with the previous versions but give up and bought
myself a router

Either way, just disable Zone Alarm to verify it's causing a problem,
or not.

Can you explain a little more what you mean by:

I seem to have got "Broadband" to arrive at both using ICS -
there's the little icon in the bottom right corner alongside the Local
Area Connection on all three machines, and I can even turn off the
main connection to Broadband from either LAN machine.

I don't understand the icon, or how you turn the Broadband off? The
primary things to check would be: 1) Can you ping the PC which is
hosting the broadband and 2) Make sure the IP address of the PC
hosting broadband is configured as your default gateway in the TCP/IP
config for the second computers.

Hope this helps!

Richard
Old June 25th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nigel. carron

In message , Rob
writes
Currently they are set for "Never dial a connection", and then nothing
ticked under LAN settings.

Lan settings should be Auto I thought - but I always use something like
Wingate as ICS just never soddin works..

--
Nigel J Carron

Old June 25th 04, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

"Rob" wrote in message
om...
[...]

After God knows how many attempts to get braoadband sharing on my 2 LAN
connected PC's using ICS and Zone Alarm, I gave up and got a wireless ADSL
router. I plugged it in, set it up and it all worked first time. Best 80
I've spent in a long time.

Old June 26th 04, 08:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

Richard Sobey wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:37:56 +0100, "Stephen Wray"
wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
. com...
snip

[...]

Thanks, Richard, for this. I've tried switching ZoneAlarm off
completely, but that hasn't made a difference. But its still worth
knowing it caused a problem for you.

The little icon is an option you get when looking at Broadband
properties (bottom left tick box of first window). Yes, I can ping the
hosting PC, and I've also got the hosting PC IP address as the default
gateway. I've also tried putting in the apparent BT server address as
the preferred DNS Server, but I suspect that (a) BT allocate these
dynamically and (b) I don't know what I'm doing!

Many thanks for your help.

Rob
Old June 26th 04, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"nigel. carron" wrote in message ...
In message , Rob
writes
Currently they are set for "Never dial a connection", and then nothing
ticked under LAN settings.

Lan settings should be Auto I thought - but I always use something like
Wingate as ICS just never soddin works..

Nigel - I've gone back to try LAN Settings on "auto". Like you say, it
would be kindof useful/obvious way of getting things working... but
still no joy. What is "Wingate"? Have I got it, or do I need to buy
it? Is it a non-Microsoft version of ICS?

Many thanks for your help.

Rob
Old June 26th 04, 08:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"DMG" wrote in message ...

After God knows how many attempts to get braoadband sharing on my 2 LAN
connected PC's using ICS and Zone Alarm, I gave up and got a wireless ADSL
router. I plugged it in, set it up and it all worked first time. Best 80
I've spent in a long time.

Sound like this might be sound advice - its just so frustrating to
have all this apparently ready and waiting to deliver, but not
happening. Have you got BT Broadband? - I thought BT didn't let you
attach anything that isn't their own (expensive) product. Any
suggestions for appropriate routers?

Many thanks. Rob
Old June 26th 04, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nigel. carron

In message , Rob
writes
Nigel - I've gone back to try LAN Settings on "auto". Like you say, it
would be kindof useful/obvious way of getting things working... but
still no joy. What is "Wingate"? Have I got it, or do I need to buy it?
Is it a non-Microsoft version of ICS?

Wingate is a fancy version of ICS.. is shareware - but loads of
different versions of the same thing..try www.download.com

--
Nigel J Carron