Old July 1st 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Andrew Gabriel

Default UK Dial plan

In article ,
David Floyd writes:
In message of Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Andrew Gabriel writes

So applying Chris, Jet, and David's corrections, I now have...

Can't understand the need for all this, but:

0[12]xxxxxxxxx STD with max local digits
01xxxxxxxx 01234 etc, with 5 digit local

Will there be a contradiction here? Why don't you simply use 0[12]x.

0[12]x. requires a long timeout to detect end of dialling, as the dial
plan gives no clue how long the number might be. In contrast, the first
of mine above requires no timeout as it's not ambigous, and the second
one requires a short timeout, as it's only ambigous with the first.

[2-9]xxxx local (in 01234, etc areas with 5 digit local)
[2-9]xxxxx local (in 01234, etc areas with 6 digit local)
[2-9]xxxxxx local (in 0118, etc areas)

Similarly with these, why not [2-9]x.

Same reason. I will only insert the ones relevant to the local
area, which means one, or two of them at most.

[378]xxxxxxx local (in 020 area).

What about other 02n areas?

What would they be?
But yes, I could just replace the [378] with an x and it would
then work for any 020 numbers which are the same length.

Why make it so complicated?

Well that's a good question. Actually, I have simplified parts
of it in practice (like merging mobiles into the STD codes as I
don't need to distinguish), but I would like to understand how
the number plan works, and it's been useful to have the errors
pointed out. I was also looking for an unused gap to slot in some
extra numbers for my use over IP, for which I'm currently grabbing
000[1-9]x.

Also just found that the 1xx. entry stops me directly dialling IP
addresses starting 192 (they seem to fall down a hole somewhere
and never succeed or fail, which I need to look into;-).

--
Andrew Gabriel