bt broadband basic

Old June 26th 04, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JM

Default bt broadband basic

If you get the BT broadband basic for 19.99, do you have to still pay your
10.50 line rental a month on top

Old June 26th 04, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"JM" wrote in message

If you get the BT broadband basic for 19.99, do you have to still
pay your 10.50 line rental a month on top

Yes.- you have to pay the BT "voice" line rental on top of any ADSL service
you get - regardless of the ISP.

This is because the charges are for two seperate things..

Regards
Sunil

Old June 26th 04, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:54 +0100, "JM" wrote:

If you get the BT broadband basic for 19.99, do you have to still pay your
10.50 line rental a month on top

Yes, but if you are interested in that account you might also consider some
of the competition - http://www.plus.net/products/broadband_home.html lets
you get 1 GB a month for 14.99, with options for more data at an extra 1.50
a GB (when you set that up in advance, 1.90 if you go over the quota). Of
course there may be setup charges that BT's service may "include" but the
odds are your use might increase over time, and you could upgrade easily
with some of the other accounts (sorry, no idea of the options with BT).

(Yes, PlusNet does offer commission payments, I doubt there is any spare
cash for this type of account, but if you click my link then at some time
I might get 25p or 50p off my monthly bills - of course you too could make
the suggestion of PlusNet to friends, if you are happy with the service, to
get your own commission/bill reduction Link: http://tinyurl.com/8ib9 )
Old June 26th 04, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
...Jerry...

"poster" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:54 +0100, "JM" wrote:

If you get the BT broadband basic for 19.99, do you have to still pay

your
10.50 line rental a month on top

Yes, but if you are interested in that account you might also consider

some
of the competition - http://www.plus.net/products/broadband_home.html lets
you get 1 GB a month for 14.99, with options for more data at an extra

1.50
a GB (when you set that up in advance, 1.90 if you go over the quota). Of
course there may be setup charges that BT's service may "include" but the
odds are your use might increase over time, and you could upgrade easily
with some of the other accounts (sorry, no idea of the options with BT).

But how many of the competition allow you to pay via your BT phone bill?
There are many who don't a credit card and it's only recently that HMG
forced people into having bank accounts (or should I say an account with
Giro) were people might be able to use direct debits etc.

Old June 27th 04, 05:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:27:19 +0100, "...Jerry..." wrote:

But how many of the competition allow you to pay via your BT phone bill?

Agreed, that may well be a consideration. I know some services will let one
make payment by other methods such as a cheque (presumably also money order).

Part of my reason for posting was to point out that there are a few services
which compare with that BT 500 kbps service 19.99 and 1 GB of traffic each
month. Since posting I have now checked the cost of using the Pay as you Go
service from Metronet (OK, connection problems recently but it is not unknown
for ISPs when expanding!), which would charge 12 pounds +VAT for a month with
1 GB of traffic (and offers several levels of firewalling to reduce unwanted
traffic being sent to you). They have a flat 10.00 fee which includes 200 MB
of traffic, and then charge 0.25p per extra MB so I think it is worth looking
at - two of my clients have been using it for months now (one moved home and
that went smoothly, too!)

It wasn't mentioned that payment on the BT Bill was an important issue, and
apologies if anyone felt mentioning competitors was bad... Peter M.
Old June 27th 04, 07:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 05:37:54 +0100, poster
wrote:

Part of my reason for posting was to point out that there are a few services
which compare with that BT 500 kbps service 19.99 and 1 GB of traffic each
month.

quite right, I just listed 9 for a neighbour to choose from of which 6
have a lower monthly fee than BT Broadband Basic.

Freeserve/Wanadoo is 2/month less for essentially the same deal with
a bit more data (2 GB, free activation, free modem, 12 month contract)

F2S is 14.99 for a *1 MB* service inc 1 GB, activation 50 modem 30
on a 1 month contract.

Plusnet is also 14.99 for a 512k 1GB service, 45 modem and 70.50
activation if you want a 1 month contract or 58.75 for 12 months.

Metronet bill in arrears on their 11.75 for 0.2 GB + 3/GB 512k
"PAYG" service. You can pay be cheque or e-transfer from your bank.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old June 28th 04, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 27 Jun 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, Phil Thompson wrote:

F2S is 14.99 for a *1 MB* service inc 1 GB, ...

Thanks for the varied list. Not sure who gets most out of a 1 GB
capped service at high speed... as far as I can see, if you are
happy to have the cap, then a 500 kbps service is probably all
you need :-) Peter M.
Old June 28th 04, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

"poster" wrote...
If you get the BT broadband basic for 19.99, do you
have to still pay your 10.50 line rental a month on top

Yes, but if you are interested in that account you might
also consider some of the competition -
http://www.plus.net/products/broadband_home.html lets
you get 1 GB a month for 14.99, with options for more
data at an extra 1.50 a GB

I moved from BT Broadband to Plusnet a few months ago, to save a few
/month. Wish I'd stayed with BT Broadband, their news server was much
faster than Plusnet's one, despite not being officially "supported" on
BT Broadband connections.

Old June 28th 04, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:33:46 +0100, poster
wrote:

as far as I can see, if you are
happy to have the cap, then a 500 kbps service is probably all
you need

maybe, maybe not. If you only need 1 GB why not have it twice as fast
and do something less boring with the time saved :-)

Phil
Old June 28th 04, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:33:46 +0100, poster
wrote:

as far as I can see, if you are
happy to have the cap,

forgot to say its not a cap you pay for more data so its partial PAYG.
For about 21/month you can have 3GB at 1 Mb/s it would appear.

Phil