Static IP??`

Old June 26th 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Domestos

Default Static IP??`

Lots of people go on about having a static IP... i'm a little confused...

1) Why would a static IP be needed?
2) What advantage/disadvantage is there to having a static IP
3) Does Virgin broadband offer a static IP

Thanks
Domestos

Old June 26th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"Domestos" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Lots of people go on about having a static IP... i'm a little confused...

1) Why would a static IP be needed?
2) What advantage/disadvantage is there to having a static IP

This is asked quite often.
http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...dband&c2coff=1
should tell you your answers to your first 2 questions.

As for question 3 it is on their website and I shouldn't really encourage
your laziness but what the heck ;o) It states "Because ADSL is an
'always-on' service and because you tend to use the same IP address for
longer periods of time, this makes ADSL services more vulnerable to hackers"
So going from that statement I would guess you get issued with a dynamic
address.

Steven.

Old June 26th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message [email protected], Domestos
writes
Lots of people go on about having a static IP... i'm a little confused...

1) Why would a static IP be needed?

If you want other systems on the Internet to be able to initiate
communications rather than just replying to communications from you. To
do this they need to locate your machine reliably and consistently. That
means always having the same IP address.

If for example you want to run your own Web server, offer an FTP site,
have mail delivered directly rather than through an ISP or access your
own systems (via a VPN) from elsewhere on the Internet.

2) What advantage/disadvantage is there to having a static IP

Advantages Your machine becomes a "permanent location" on the Internet
highway - You can do all the above, and more.

Dis-advantages Your machine becomes a "permanent location" on the
Internet highway. The bad guys can always find you in the same place
every time. You need to have competence in networking, security, and
systems operations.

If you don't understand what a permanent IP address is for and the
implications of having one you almost certainly don't need one, and
shouldn't worry about it.

3) Does Virgin broadband offer a static IP

No Idea - I would doubt it. They tend to be offered by the ISP's
catering to the Business and techie market.

Thanks
Domestos

No Problem

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old June 26th 04, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

Domestos wrote:
Lots of people go on about having a static IP... i'm a little
confused...

1) Why would a static IP be needed?
2) What advantage/disadvantage is there to having a static IP
3) Does Virgin broadband offer a static IP

You would probably want a static IP if you want to run a server from home
e.g. a web server (serving web pages) or your own mail server. Some people
may want it for VPN (connection between office and home).

Don't know about Virgin, but I doubt it.

Dominic

--
ICBroadband Tech Support - working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
www.icbroadband.com/support

Old June 26th 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:18:18 +0100, "Domestos"
wrote:

Lots of people go on about having a static IP... i'm a little confused...

1) Why would a static IP be needed?
2) What advantage/disadvantage is there to having a static IP
3) Does Virgin broadband offer a static IP

Thanks
Domestos

If you can't answer questions 1 and 2 yourself, then it is not for you
and an answer to question 3 then becomes irreverlent.

Of course you might need the facility and don't realize that you do.
Don't worry about it, in most cases it can be an add on at a later
date if that's the case.

David Bradley
Old June 26th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony

http://www.no-ip.com/ Free Static IPs here

Old June 26th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

1) Why would a static IP be needed?
2) What advantage/disadvantage is there to having a static IP
3) Does Virgin broadband offer a static IP

Thanks
Domestos

I have a network of 3 PC's at my office/workshop location to which I can
connect from home with
Remote Administrator (Radmin) http://www.famatech.com/

I find there is no need at all for a static IP I use a program called
IP Mailer 2004 http://www.famatech.com/
It does exactly what it says on the tin.

My ISP's dynamic IP is so "sticky" it never seems to change unless I crash
the system and need to reboot, and even then, if I reconnect quickly I
sometimes get the same IP back again! (anyone else experienced this?)
If it does change however, I can rely on IP mailer to inform me, and all I
need do is copy and paste the new IP into the Radmin client.

Graham.

--

%Profound_observation%

Old June 26th 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Domestos

"David Bradley" wrote in message
snip
David Bradley

Are you David P Bradley from CSC?

long shot - but i thought I would ask ...

Domestos

Old June 26th 04, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Duncan Newell

"Graham" wrote in message ...

[...]

If you use Windows XP Pro you have remote administration in it as default.

Old June 27th 04, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:48:24 +0100, "Domestos"
wrote:

"David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .
snip
David Bradley

Are you David P Bradley from CSC?

long shot - but i thought I would ask ...

Domestos

Nope, DCB from Elstead