2 wireless networks, 1 house

Old June 26th 04, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark

Default 2 wireless networks, 1 house

I have two ADSL lines in my house.

On the upstairs phone line I have a standard 512/256 ADSL connection. On the
downstairs line I have a 1mbit/256 connection. I have two connections
because if one goes down I won't be able to earn a living, it happened
before and I made sure it wouldnt happen again.

I have numerous PC and laptops in the house, on 3 floors (inc. the attic). I
have two Netgear wireless ADSL modems/routers, 1 x 802.11b & 1 x 802.11g.
I'm yet to use the downstairs ADSL line at all, I've just got a wireless
802.11b network upstairs. Now I'd like to bring the downstair 1mbit
connection into play. Am I going to run into any problems by having a
wireless network both upstairs and downstairs? especially using two
different standards?

regards

Old June 26th 04, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , mark
writes
I have two ADSL lines in my house.

On the upstairs phone line I have a standard 512/256 ADSL connection. On the
downstairs line I have a 1mbit/256 connection. I have two connections
because if one goes down I won't be able to earn a living, it happened
before and I made sure it wouldnt happen again.

I have numerous PC and laptops in the house, on 3 floors (inc. the attic). I
have two Netgear wireless ADSL modems/routers, 1 x 802.11b & 1 x 802.11g.
I'm yet to use the downstairs ADSL line at all, I've just got a wireless
802.11b network upstairs. Now I'd like to bring the downstair 1mbit
connection into play. Am I going to run into any problems by having a
wireless network both upstairs and downstairs? especially using two
different standards?

regards

Shouldn't be a problem.

Be sure to set the default channels on the two wireless routers as far
apart (1 & 13?) as possible and give them different SSID's
Then your wireless client will be able to see two networks, and you will
be able to choose which one to attach to.

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old June 26th 04, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kimball K Kinnison

"mark" wrote in message
I have two ADSL lines in my house.

On the upstairs phone line I have a standard 512/256 ADSL connection. On

the
downstairs line I have a 1mbit/256 connection. I have two connections
because if one goes down I won't be able to earn a living, it happened
before and I made sure it wouldnt happen again.

I have numerous PC and laptops in the house, on 3 floors (inc. the attic).

have two Netgear wireless ADSL modems/routers, 1 x 802.11b & 1 x 802.11g.
I'm yet to use the downstairs ADSL line at all, I've just got a wireless
802.11b network upstairs. Now I'd like to bring the downstair 1mbit
connection into play. Am I going to run into any problems by having a
wireless network both upstairs and downstairs? especially using two
different standards?

regards

I have a large house and 1 wireless access point will not cover it all.
Therefore I have one accesss point downstairs at one end and one upstairs at
the other. I have set them up on two seperate channels far apart BUT given
them both the same SSID and WEP key. This way any computers and or Pocket
PCs only have to be set up the once and they all happily roam between the
two.

HTH

Old June 26th 04, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

I have a large house and 1 wireless access point will not cover it all.
Therefore I have one accesss point downstairs at one end and one upstairs

at
the other. I have set them up on two seperate channels far apart BUT given
them both the same SSID and WEP key. This way any computers and or Pocket
PCs only have to be set up the once and they all happily roam between the
two.

HTH

So one router is connected to BB and the second one is not,
it just sits there in repeater mode extending the coverage.
Is that right?

Graham.
--

%Profound_observation%

Old June 26th 04, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominic

mark wrote:
I have two ADSL lines in my house.

On the upstairs phone line I have a standard 512/256 ADSL connection.
On the downstairs line I have a 1mbit/256 connection. I have two
connections because if one goes down I won't be able to earn a
living, it happened before and I made sure it wouldnt happen again.

What happens if there is a problem with the DSL equipment at the exchange?

Two ADSL lines means there is still potentially a single point of failure,
so they could quite easily both go down. A different type of connection e.g.
ISDN, would be better for redudancy purposes.

Dominic

Old June 26th 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:18:20 UTC, "Dominic"
wrote:

mark wrote:
I have two ADSL lines in my house.

On the upstairs phone line I have a standard 512/256 ADSL connection.
On the downstairs line I have a 1mbit/256 connection. I have two
connections because if one goes down I won't be able to earn a
living, it happened before and I made sure it wouldnt happen again.

What happens if there is a problem with the DSL equipment at the exchange?

And they probably share a drop wire.

Two ADSL lines means there is still potentially a single point of failure,
so they could quite easily both go down. A different type of connection e.g.
ISDN, would be better for redudancy purposes.

Slightly. I have ADSL and ISDN, and even they share the same drop wire.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old June 27th 04, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark

"Dominic" wrote in message
mark wrote:
I have two ADSL lines in my house.

On the upstairs phone line I have a standard 512/256 ADSL connection.
On the downstairs line I have a 1mbit/256 connection. I have two
connections because if one goes down I won't be able to earn a
living, it happened before and I made sure it wouldnt happen again.

What happens if there is a problem with the DSL equipment at the exchange?

Obviously I can't cover all bases, but two is better than 1. I had a
previous problem with freeserve whereby my connection with them was inactive
for 7-10 days. I was without a connection all that time, if I had two lines
then, I wouldn't have suffered.

Old June 27th 04, 04:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On 26 Jun 2004 23:18, "Dominic" wrote:

A different type of connection e.g. ISDN, would be better

Agreed, but there's always dial up on a 56k modem (!!) if it all goes dead.
I have no wireless kit here, having had cabling for quite a while and it
struck me when reading one post that I could not do some of the things I
currently do - make use of more than one internet connection at the same
time. I have ADSL to two different ISPs and an ISDN router on my LAN, and
often use both ADSL links from my PCs (so I might browse using the dynamic
IP service and have streaming audio or FTP via the fixed IP {and slower}
service, while I keep the ISDN for keeping the odd dial-up account active,
and as my reserve for a complete ADSL outage... Peter M.
Old June 27th 04, 08:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Graham wrote:
I have a large house and 1 wireless access point will not cover it all.
Therefore I have one accesss point downstairs at one end and one upstairs

at

the other. I have set them up on two seperate channels far apart BUT given
them both the same SSID and WEP key. This way any computers and or Pocket
PCs only have to be set up the once and they all happily roam between the
two.

HTH

So one router is connected to BB and the second one is not,
it just sits there in repeater mode extending the coverage.
Is that right?

why would there be two routers?

I have two wireless hubs in my house as well, jut linked by a cat-5
cable going back to a small switch built into the router/modem

Graham.
--

%Profound_observation%

Old June 27th 04, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

mark wrote:

I have two ADSL lines in my house.

On the upstairs phone line I have a standard 512/256 ADSL connection. On the
downstairs line I have a 1mbit/256 connection. I have two connections
because if one goes down I won't be able to earn a living, it happened
before and I made sure it wouldnt happen again.

I have numerous PC and laptops in the house, on 3 floors (inc. the attic). I
have two Netgear wireless ADSL modems/routers, 1 x 802.11b & 1 x 802.11g.
I'm yet to use the downstairs ADSL line at all, I've just got a wireless
802.11b network upstairs. Now I'd like to bring the downstair 1mbit
connection into play. Am I going to run into any problems by having a
wireless network both upstairs and downstairs? especially using two
different standards?

regards

Dear Mark

Here is how I do it with businesses where an internet connection is
considered to be critical.

Go to an ISP and tel them you want them to provide an ADSL circuit with
an agreed SLA (98%), max downtime of (1hour?). it doesn't really matter,
however....

they will provide an ADSL circuit for you with your set of fixed IPs.
Along with the circuit goes a fancy router and an ISDN2 circuit. Should
the ADSL fail for any reason, then the router kicks in the ISDN2
automatically, and importantly you still get provided with the same set
of fixed IPs. The ISP will even pay your phone bills for the ISDN should
it kick in. There are some issues with ISDN circuits being snaffled for
other use by BT if they are deamed to be unused, so your ISP should also
arrange for the circuits to be pinged once a month to make sure they are
there when needed.