ADSL and Line Noise

Old June 27th 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default ADSL and Line Noise

I have had my bt phone line for nearly six years and just this weekend
i noticed slight line noise when i listen to the dialling tone which i
have never had before. I dialled up to my isp earlier yesterday and
got a connection speed of 27,000 bps so i disconnected and tried again
later. I heard slight line noise again this morning but it is only
intermittent and i have gone back to connected at either 49,000 bps or
50,000 bps.

As i'am considering getting broadband soon i would like to know if i
signed up for adsl would my line fail the noise test because of this
slight occasional line noise or is there some sort of tolerence
regarding testing a line's suitability for adsl?

And one more thing if it did fail the line noise test how would i go
about getting adsl? I'am considering plusnet as an broadband isp, but
if it was too much hassle i would consider telewest broadband instead.

Thanks in advance.

du.
Old June 27th 04, 09:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

wrote in message

would my line fail the noise test because of this
slight occasional line noise

First thing to do is to try to get the noise problem fixed. Ring BT faults
and tell them you have line noise.

Jc.

Old June 27th 04, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Also you can't hear ADSL so your noise is in the wrong spectrum to
affect it in practice.

Phil
--

Noise by definition is random. Just because you can hear it, it doesn't
preclude there being appreciable energy above audio frequencies.

If you want another illustration, try this
Telephone engineers carry a device for identifying pairs. You connect the
pair under test to a box that generates a 1Khz tone, you can certainly hear
that. But the point is that the tone is a square wave with a fast rise and
fall time so harmonics are produced extending to Mhz's so when looking for
the signal at the far end he only has to hold his receiver near to the pair
to hear the tone.

Old June 27th 04, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:22:18 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

Noise by definition is random. Just because you can hear it, it doesn't
preclude there being appreciable energy above audio frequencies.

indeed, nor does it guarantee it. The key point is that it will not
affect the provision of ADSL as it is not measured. It may affect the
performance of it once you have it, but that's a different thing.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !