Pipex is down

Old June 26th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Default Pipex is down

King Queen wrote:
"27/06/04 at 11:30
Report:
Failure of a major network component has resulted in a loss of service
for PIPEX Xtreme ADSL customers (both on ADSL and 0845) and for
DialTime customers.

Symptoms:
Connection to the network and many servers is not currently possible.

Actions:
An engineering team are working on the problem as a matter of the
highest possible priority, but it is likely that service will not be
restored until mid-afternoon Sunday at the earliest.

We sincerely apologise for this interruption to service."

So I'm on 56k dialup (well, 46.6K dialup). Gods it is so slow.

I'm glad in these sort of situations I have news and email provided
separately from my ISP...

I'm OK on ADSL but no email.

Old June 27th 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

--
King Queen - Remove .lartsspammers to reply. http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
"Advertising is the rattling of a stick in a swill bucket" George Orwell
Old June 27th 04, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:39:55 +0100, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
wrote:

I'm OK on ADSL but no email.

Don't whatever you do reset your router or you won't get back on.
Old June 27th 04, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GT

It's Back on now

Old June 27th 04, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 14:05:44 +0100, "GT" wrote:

It's Back on now

Off and on.
Old June 27th 04, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Russell

"GT" wrote in message
It's Back on now

Took me a while to find the little lead that plugs into my old modem. By the
time I got online via an old dial-up account broadband was back on.

Russell

Old June 27th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

In the long term, on the average, all service providers provide the same
grade and reliability of service.

They can't help but do so. They all depend on the same basic system.

Old June 27th 04, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:59:28 UTC, "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

In the long term, on the average, all service providers provide the same
grade and reliability of service.

They can't help but do so. They all depend on the same basic system.

Hmmm. So if Pipex servers go down, that affects all ISPs?

And Pipex share customer service with all other ISPs?

I know what you were TRYING to say...and I agree. But, not well put!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old June 27th 04, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alexander Mann

wrote:

In the long term, on the average, all service providers provide the same
grade and reliability of service.

They can't help but do so. They all depend on the same basic system.

Hmmm. So if Pipex servers go down, that affects all ISPs?

And Pipex share customer service with all other ISPs?

I know what you were TRYING to say...and I agree. But, not well put!

I think I know what he's trying to say, too. I still disagree :-P

Some ISPs invest a lot in backup servers and routers - to say that, in
the long run, these measures make no difference is, as far as I can see,
simply wrong.

Old June 27th 04, 10:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

wrote:
In the long term, on the average, all service providers provide the same
grade and reliability of service.
They can't help but do so. They all depend on the same basic system.

Hmmm. So if Pipex servers go down, that affects all ISPs?
And Pipex share customer service with all other ISPs?
I know what you were TRYING to say...and I agree. But, not well put!

I think I know what he's trying to say, too. I still disagree :-P

I meant I agree with the fact that they all (mostly) use BT
infrastructure. Which I think is what he was trying to say. But (as we
both agree) that ignores the bigger picture!