Broadband on way to area....at last!

Old June 27th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

Default Broadband on way to area....at last!

Living in fairly rural Scotland (well between Glasgow and Edinburgh!), BT
have decided to upgrade the local exchange (Carstairs) from 4th August,
despite previously laughing hysterically when I phoned them last year to
ask if my area would be broadband enabled any time in the near future!
Initial indications are "Amber" for 512k service but "red" for 1mb
service.

Now....being VERY new to broadband (but fairly computer literate), I am
looking for some advice (surprisingly). It looks like Vispa offer a
reliable service and so that is probably who I'll go with. I use my own
desktop and also use a company laptop when working from home. Can someone
please confirm that the best way to get both connected is a router
connecting both pc's and also an ethernet broadband modem? If so, does
anyone have any recommendations for these or am I best just sticking with
what Vispa supply (they do a router package for situations like mine)?

--
Ian

Old June 27th 04, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 18:07:09 +0100, "Ian"
wrote:

Can someone
please confirm that the best way to get both connected is a router
connecting both pc's and also an ethernet broadband modem? I

a combined ADSL modem/router will do the job, you may want to consider
wireless for the laptop.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !