Mobile Phone Access

Old June 28th 04, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default Mobile Phone Access

Anyone managed to get mobile phone access to a broadband network.

Having recently got a SonyEricsson Z600 I thought this was an option but a
posting to a 'mobile' newsgroup brought a number of replies saying this is
not possible and one saying he had done it (Not full details yet).

Realistically this is not a 'must have' option but there are a few
facilities on mobiles that are useful but expensive via GSM or GPRS; what I
was hoping for is the option to 'play around' with the functions via my
permanent connection.

Geoff Lane

Old June 28th 04, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

"phoenix" wrote in message

Anyone managed to get mobile phone access to a broadband network.

Having recently got a SonyEricsson Z600 I thought this was an option

I don't know about your phone specifically but I can access the internet
through my broadband connection with ActiveSync. There's an option for
'pass through' that will allow the phone (connected via a cable) to use

the
LAN connection rather than GPRS, I currently use an Orange SPV E200.

Not too familiar with ActiveSync - I've got a handheld (Dell Axim) which
uses it and I find it a pain in the ar$e and was under the impression that
both operating systems need to be able to use it which I'm not sure my
SonyEricsson can.

Geoff Lane

Old June 28th 04, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Eden

Geoff Lane wrote:
Anyone managed to get mobile phone access to a broadband network.

Having recently got a SonyEricsson Z600 I thought this was an option
but a posting to a 'mobile' newsgroup brought a number of replies
saying this is not possible and one saying he had done it (Not full
details yet).

Realistically this is not a 'must have' option but there are a few
facilities on mobiles that are useful but expensive via GSM or GPRS;
what I was hoping for is the option to 'play around' with the
functions via my permanent connection.

Are you trying to browse on your phone via your ADSL connection? OR are you
trying to connect your computer to broadband using your phone?

For the former, unless you've got a WiFi phone and network, there's no
practical way to use your broadband connection. You can use services like
avantgo to store content on your handset, or you can download mp3s etc on
your computer and transfer them manually to your phone.

If you want to get broadband through the phone, you'll need a Vodafone 3G
datacard. Or you can wait for a mobile operator to start offering 3G phones
with access to the internet (3 only offer a walled garden service)

Terry

small disclaimer - speaking for myself, not my employer.

Old June 28th 04, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ZZzz

"Terry Eden" wrote in message
[snip]
I have never seen a mobile phone that allows the use of a connection other
than its internal GPRS/GSM radio. There are some SmartPhones that may be
able to do this, but - to the best of my knowledge - no regular phones.

Terry

The Sonyericsson P800 & P900 can use Bluetooth to access your net
connection, using the serial profile.

ZZzz

Old June 29th 04, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Geoff Lane wrote:
Anyone managed to get mobile phone access to a broadband network.

Are you trying to browse on your phone via your ADSL connection? OR are

you
trying to connect your computer to broadband using your phone?

For the former, unless you've got a WiFi phone and network, there's no
practical way to use your broadband connection.

Yes, it is the former - I've done it the other way.

The phone has Bluetooth and IrDA and I have a mixed wired and Wifi home
network. The Bluetooth connection to the computer is via a Mentor USB
adapter into a laptop which shows up as a network connection.

As my network is via a NAT router I am thinking I may have to bridge my
laptop's network card and the Bluetooth adapter, perhaps not as I am
guessing.

Geoff Lane

Old June 30th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Eden

Geoff Lane wrote:
As my network is via a NAT router I am thinking I may have to bridge
my laptop's network card and the Bluetooth adapter, perhaps not as I
am guessing.

First off, what phone are you using?

Terry

Old June 30th 04, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

"Terry Eden" wrote in message

As my network is via a NAT router I am thinking I may have to bridge
my laptop's network card and the Bluetooth adapter, perhaps not as I
am guessing.

First off, what phone are you using?

SonyEricsson Z600

Geoff Lane

Old June 30th 04, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Timothy Baldwin

In message , Geoff Lane
wrote:

The phone has Bluetooth and IrDA and I have a mixed wired and Wifi home
network. The Bluetooth connection to the computer is via a Mentor USB
adapter into a laptop which shows up as a network connection.

What type of network connection is it? (Ethernet or Point-to-Point (Dialup))

What OS is your laptop running?

As my network is via a NAT router I am thinking I may have to bridge my
laptop's network card and the Bluetooth adapter, perhaps not as I am
guessing.

If your phone uses bnep (or some other ethernet encapsulation) a software
ethernet bridge (switch) will do the job, Linux and Windows XP include
ethernet bridging support.

If you can't do that you will have to pick a different subnet for your
buletooth network and configure your laptop as a router. If you are
prepared to accept NAT beetwen your phone and your LAN Windows' Internet
Connection Sharing should work. If setting it up manually you may need a
DHCP server on your laptop to configure your phone.

--
Member AFFS, WYLUG, SWP (UK), ANL, Leeds SA, Leeds Anti-war coalition
OpenPGP key fingerprint: D0A6 F403 9745 CED4 6B3B 94CC 8D74 8FC9 9F7F CFE4
Old July 12th 04, 02:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

"Timothy Baldwin" wrote in message

Apologies for delay as I'm not using my own computer

What type of network connection is it? (Ethernet or Point-to-Point

(Dialup))

Mainly broadband ethernet but can use Dial Up

What OS is your laptop running?

XP Home

If your phone uses bnep (or some other ethernet encapsulation) a software
ethernet bridge (switch) will do the job, Linux and Windows XP include
ethernet bridging support.

Not sure what the software is - Sony Ericsson.

If you can't do that you will have to pick a different subnet for your
buletooth network and configure your laptop as a router. If you are
prepared to accept NAT beetwen your phone and your LAN Windows' Internet
Connection Sharing should work. If setting it up manually you may need a
DHCP server on your laptop to configure your phone.

I'll give anything a try.

Thanks.

Geoff ane