Setting up a wireless home network

Old June 28th 04, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Will Sutton

Default Setting up a wireless home network

Hi,

I'm planning on getting broadband in the next month or
so and I'd like to ask for your opinions on the way I'm
intending to go about it, as I'm somewhat nave as
regards the terminology and technology of broadband.

I intend to get a 512kbps connection with my ISP, and
then buy a wireless router (with a built-in modem) so
that my family and I will be able to simultaneously
access the internet without the need for cables
everywhere and a computer permanently on. Presumably all
I need do is buy a router, configure it and my
desktop/laptop (already wi-fi enabled), plug it into the
wall and then I'm away. However, from experience, things
are rarely that simple - does anyone have any particular
warnings about setting up a home wireless network as
I've seen several reviews on Amazon from people
struggling to make certain programs work with them, or
even at all?

Two further questions I'd really appreciate answers to
a do all the phone sockets in my home require
microfilters or just the master socket, and if I were to
move in the next year would I be required to pay a
connection fee (how much would this be?)? Thanks very
much - any answers are much appreciated!
Old June 28th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:19:17 +0100, Will Sutton
wrote:

I intend to get a 512kbps connection with my ISP, and=20
then buy a wireless router (with a built-in modem) so=20
that my family and I will be able to simultaneously=20
access the internet without the need for cables=20
everywhere and a computer permanently on. Presumably all=20
I need do is buy a router, configure it and my=20
desktop/laptop (already wi-fi enabled), plug it into the=20
wall and then I'm away.

There's one issue: you could really do with a wired connection, at
least for setting up. I.e. you could do with connecting to the router
by Ethernet, which would probably mean an Ethernet card in your
desktop or an Ethernet-enabled laptop. It is also good to have this
for if things ever get messed up wireless - wise and you need to reset
things.

Other than that I think you are OK there.

Two further questions I'd really appreciate answers to=20
a do all the phone sockets in my home require=20
microfilters or just the master socket,

Any socket that has a telephone or similar device connected to it (fax
machine, sky digibox, or whatever) needs a microfilter. Any extension
that doesn't have anything connected, or just your ADSL router,
doesn't need a microfilter. (Though the port in a microfilter makes a
convenient way to plug the router in).

and if I were to=20
move in the next year would I be required to pay a=20
connection fee

That depends on the ISP but (almost always) yes.

(how much would this be?)?

That also depends on your ISP, ask them!

Cheers

--
To email me remove ".lartsspammers"
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
Old June 28th 04, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Watts

"Will Sutton" wrote in message
t...

do all the phone sockets in my home require

microfilters or just the master socket,
Yes, every socket where a phone, fax Sky-tv box etc is plugged in - unless
you go in for some fancy wiring.

and if I were to

move in the next year would I be required to pay a
connection fee (how much would this be?)?
Yes you would as the enabling is on a specific physical line and
non-transferable.

Chris

Old June 28th 04, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Deag

Will Sutton wrote:
Hi,

....and if I were to
move in the next year would I be required to pay a
connection fee (how much would this be?)? Thanks very
much - any answers are much appreciated!

I gather the BT packages do not penalise you if you move mid-way through the
contract, but then again they are a bit more expensive than the others.

Old July 5th 04, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

wrote:

I'm planning on getting broadband in the next month or
so and I'd like to ask for your opinions on the way I'm
intending to go about it, as I'm somewhat nave as
regards the terminology and technology of broadband.

You're in the right place then!

I intend to get a 512kbps connection with my ISP, and
then buy a wireless router (with a built-in modem) so
that my family and I will be able to simultaneously
access the internet without the need for cables
everywhere and a computer permanently on. Presumably all
I need do is buy a router, configure it and my
desktop/laptop (already wi-fi enabled), plug it into the
wall and then I'm away. However, from experience, things
are rarely that simple - does anyone have any particular
warnings about setting up a home wireless network as
I've seen several reviews on Amazon from people
struggling to make certain programs work with them, or
even at all?

In the case of wireless networks it can be that simple, but then it
can also not be. Most routers have fairly comprehensive instructions
although the quality of these varies between manufacturers, as do the
potential problems encountered.

My main tips would be:

1. Ensure security on your wireless network - at least 128bit WEP.
WEP is far from uncrackable, but it's kind of like locking your car.
It won't stop the most determined intruder but it will considerably
discourage opportunists. WEP can be cracked but requires effort and
unless your network houses something of extreme interest to hackers
cracking it will be far more trouble than it is worth.

2. You can further increase security by limiting the MAC addresses
the router will access connections from. This is also not unbeatable,
but a further obstacle to make your network less attractive.

3. Change the password (and username if possible) for the router
interface. In fact, if you know how, change absolutely everything
away from the manufacturer's defaults.

4. If you have multiple computers connecting together, and you have
shared on these computers, these will be available to the network. If
you know how, make sure you set access levels and privileges
appropriately on these shares.

Two further questions I'd really appreciate answers to
a do all the phone sockets in my home require
microfilters or just the master socket

Every line which has something (anything) connected to it. In my case
we have a single digital cordless base station which transmits to
multiple handsets which sit on charger units around the house.
Obviously there is only one actual connection to the phone line so in
my case only one additional filter is required.

Potentially these digital units can affect performance of wireless
networks but I have not experienced any such issues.