Home wireless questions

Old June 28th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Will Sutton

Default Home wireless questions

Apologies for the potential doublepost - neither of my
news servers are picking up the message I thought I'd
posted, so here it is again:

Hi,

I'm planning on getting broadband in the next month or
so and I'd like to ask for your opinions on the way I'm
intending to go about it, as I'm somewhat nave as
regards the terminology and technology of broadband.

I intend to get a 512kbps connection with my ISP, and
then buy a wireless router (with a built-in modem) so
that my family and I will be able to simultaneously
access the internet without the need for cables
everywhere and a computer permanently on. Presumably all
I need do is buy a router, configure it and my
desktop/laptop (already wi-fi enabled), plug it into the
wall and then I'm away. However, from experience, things
are rarely that simple - does anyone have any particular
warnings about setting up a home wireless network as
I've seen several reviews on Amazon from people
struggling to make certain programs work with them, or
even at all?

Two further questions I'd really appreciate answers to
a do all the phone sockets in my home require
microfilters or just the master socket, and if I were to
move in the next year would I be required to pay a
connection fee (how much would this be?)? Thanks very
much - any answers are much appreciated!
Old June 28th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
marky

a wi-fi network is childs play to set up,it suprised me, 15 mins and i had
mine running, 2 pc's and a laptop, the only advise i can give is go for a
good router/modem, with a helpline in case of probs, concerning your
microfilters, you need one for where your router is located, then another
for each phone.

Marky

t...