Printers on a Wireless Network

Old June 28th 04, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PRAR

Default Printers on a Wireless Network

Guys (n Gals)

I've finally got a wireless network set up so that I can surf on our
broadband connection without filling the house with spaghetti.

I'd like to get a printer to go onto this network. It needs to have
the neccessary kit so that it can be used by all the pcs on the
network without being plugged into any one of them (ie I don't really
want to have to have a PC as the Printer Server). It will go next to
the router and be wired connection though.

What do any of you recommend? I only really need a B&W Laser but I
think a Laser Jet 8000 with a Jet Direct card* could be construed as
overkill for a few 100 pages a month! Are there any tips for getting
it all to work together?

(* like we use at work)

PRAR
--
http://www.i.am/prar/
As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it. Dick Cavett
Old June 28th 04, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

PRAR wrote:
Guys (n Gals)

I've finally got a wireless network set up so that I can surf on our
broadband connection without filling the house with spaghetti.

I'd like to get a printer to go onto this network. It needs to have
the neccessary kit so that it can be used by all the pcs on the
network without being plugged into any one of them (ie I don't really
want to have to have a PC as the Printer Server). It will go next to
the router and be wired connection though.

What do any of you recommend? I only really need a B&W Laser but I
think a Laser Jet 8000 with a Jet Direct card* could be construed as
overkill for a few 100 pages a month! Are there any tips for getting
it all to work together?

hee, I was going to suggest a Jet Direct box :~ I'm sure you should be
able to pick one up for a tenner on eBay, but never looked to be honest
with you

(* like we use at work)

PRAR

Old June 28th 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:52:42 +0000 (UTC), Martin
wrote:

PRAR wrote:
[...]

Dont mess around with things that *might* work - go for the kill and
use a Draytek unit that has a built in LPR port. Will do all you want
and more.

DAVID BRADLEY

Old June 28th 04, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PRAR

wrote:

What do any of you recommend? I only really need a B&W Laser but I
think a Laser Jet 8000 with a Jet Direct card* could be construed as
overkill for a few 100 pages a month! Are there any tips for getting
it all to work together?

hee, I was going to suggest a Jet Direct box :~ I'm sure you should be
able to pick one up for a tenner on eBay, but never looked to be honest
with you

Plenty of jet Direct cards on ebay, all I need now is something to
plug it into and a few clues on configuration...

PRAR
Old June 28th 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

wrote:

What do any of you recommend? I only really need a B&W Laser but I
think a Laser Jet 8000 with a Jet Direct card* could be construed as
overkill for a few 100 pages a month! Are there any tips for getting
it all to work together?

hee, I was going to suggest a Jet Direct box :~ I'm sure you should be
able to pick one up for a tenner on eBay, but never looked to be honest
with you

Plenty of jet Direct cards on ebay, all I need now is something to
plug it into and a few clues on configuration...

not a card. A box. Like this
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...253-64302.html
or
www.hp.com/go/jetdirect

and you can see they are called External Print Servers, they come able
to support from 1 to (I think) 4 printers on a box.

You plug them into the mains (by the supplied transformer), plug them
into your LAN with a Cat-5 cable and they have a parallel port on them
into which you plug your printer.

Then you get network printing form anywhere on your network, they'll
support any kind of printer (even an impact line printer - one of those
chugga-chugga things with fan-fold paper), and you don't need to keep a
PC powered up just to act as a print server.

You can download the full HP Web Admin software from the HP web site,
which will allow you to manage and configure any number of the things
over a WAN, or just install the supplied utility disc and it'll go find
your box, install the right ports onto your PC for the print drivers,
and you just give it an IP address in your fixed IP space.

It's not too difficult.

PRAR

Old June 28th 04, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

wrote:

PRAR wrote:

[...]

a Jet Direct box will work, I've installed hundreds (literally) of the
things and never had one go wrong or be difficult

DAVID BRADLEY

Old June 28th 04, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Murphy

wrote:

PRAR wrote:
[...]

Or if the OP wants to spend considerably less but wants similar
functionality, SMC make Wireless capable ADSL Modem/Router/Print Servers. I
use one in the exact same situation described with an old Kyocera FS-1500
Laser Printer and it works a treat. Very reliable too.

If the router is already paid for and can't be exchanged for one with a
print server then the next best option is an external print server. My
experience has been with both HP and Intel print servers. The Intel Netport
Express ones have superior configuration utilities IMO.

Paul Murphy

Old June 29th 04, 02:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

You can get a printer with built in wifi connection, HP inkjet and others.
Regards,
Martin

Old June 29th 04, 06:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

a Jet Direct box will work, I've installed hundreds (literally) of the
things and never had one go wrong or be difficult

DAVID BRADLEY

Likewise !!

Dave