ADSL configuration query

Old June 28th 04, 09:01 PM posted to plusnet.tech.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Default ADSL configuration query

Running XP Pro with all the updates, standard engineer-installed 512
connection (ex-BT) on an Alcatel Frog USB modem.

I'm getting what feels like fairly poor connection speeds on my connection
to Plusnet, and wondered what settings (MTU, RWIN etc) were recommended or
advised for maximising the connection. I also recall on Windows 98 that
there was a maxconnectionsperserver registry setting I could change - is
this something I can also change in XP?

I'm aware that there are one or two applications which will allow you to
change these settings, but at this stage I'm chiefly interested in what the
correct settings should be!

TIA

Old June 28th 04, 09:16 PM posted to plusnet.tech.general,uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Nuttall

Trent SC wrote:

I'm aware that there are one or two applications which will allow
you to change these settings, but at this stage I'm chiefly
interested in what the correct settings should be!

I'm using an MTU of 1478 & an RWIN of 17256. My router's MTU is also
1478. I use DrTCP to set these things in Windows
(www.dslreports.com/drtcp).

You'll get various answers and recommendations. I don't think there's a
definitive setting for everyone. You'll just have to try a few
suggesitons and see which is best. Have a look at the discussion
forums; there's a sticky topic in the ADSL forum (I think).

--
Keith Nuttall
(when replying, please re-type the address how it sounds)