Whoops !! BTYahoo capping details leak

Old June 28th 04, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Andy M Jenkins

Default Whoops !! BTYahoo capping details leak

It seems that BTYahoo have finally deemed that their unlimited BTYahoo
Broadband service must become capped. Although there is good news as
well, as it appears theres to be a substantial" reduction in service
rental on the cards as well.

http://snipurl.com/2n1k

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old June 29th 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
David Bradley

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:32:38 +0100, Andy M Jenkins
wrote:

It seems that BTYahoo have finally deemed that their unlimited BTYahoo
Broadband service must become capped. Although there is good news as
well, as it appears theres to be a substantial" reduction in service
rental on the cards as well.

http://snipurl.com/2n1k

The site was still there when I viewed it this morning. I am not a BT
Yahoo customer so it does not concern me over duly. However should my
current ISP adopt such a policy, it makes me wonder what my Internet
'usage' has been in any 30 day period.

Even if software was available that 'meters' an Internet connection,
the issues of several PCs sharing an Internet connection via a router
introduces a level complexity that might make any meaningful results
difficult to determine.

With BT Yahoo I noticed that when you exceed your monthly usage level
your connection becomes throttled down until the start of your next
30 day period. There appeared to be no notification process of the
reduction in service at that point.

It was also observed that this capping would not affect the vast
majority of users; that being the case why not target those extra
heavy users forcing a switch to a higher priced service and not cause
unnecessary worry to the rest?

DAVID BRADLEY

Old June 29th 04, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Sunil Sood

"David Bradley" wrote in message

With BT Yahoo I noticed that when you exceed your monthly usage level
your connection becomes throttled down until the start of your next
30 day period. There appeared to be no notification process of the
reduction in service at that point.

A couple of months ago, I put up a video demonstrating BT's "flexible
bandwidth" service - of which this is an example.

At the time (if not now), the idea was to restrict your downloads to 64K
once you had exceeded your bandwidth limit - you were notified of this via a
small software program BT would install in your system tray and/or a web
page...

Of course, their plans could have changed since then.

Regards
Sunil

Old June 29th 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Andy M Jenkins

Andy M Jenkins wrote:

It seems that BTYahoo have finally deemed that their unlimited BTYahoo
Broadband service must become capped. Although there is good news as
well, as it appears theres to be a substantial" reduction in service
rental on the cards as well.

http://snipurl.com/2n1k

Small update .. BTYahoo have removed the page in question.

I'm advised that an official announcement is expected tomorrow
(Wednesday 30th).

Old June 29th 04, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Andy M Jenkins

Tx2 wrote:

Why doesn't ukbug work under Firefox?

Doesnt it ? Does here.

I'm trying to log in, and all i get is a page with "reload" message from
Firefox ... ?

Strange. I've used Firefox fine for a number of months now with bug -
in fact Firefox has replaced OE as my default browser.

Cookie issue maybe ?

Old June 29th 04, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Andy M Jenkins

Tx2 wrote:
Odd ..... it's working now, and all i've done is rush downstairs to put
the wheelie bin out !!

oh well ...

Oh well indeed

If you can replicate - let me know and I'll investigate (geez .. sounds
like I'm still in work !)

Old June 29th 04, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
IslanderUK

As I am going over to Broadband in a few months when it becomes
available I downloaded a usage meter from http://www.bmextreme.com

This has been very useful in seeing how much bandwidth I use.

its free as well

Old June 29th 04, 06:08 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.media.broadband,uk.net.providers,uk.telecom.broadband
...Jerry...

[ groups trimmed to those that my NNTP server carries ]

"Andy M Jenkins" wrote in message
Andy M Jenkins wrote:

snip

http://snipurl.com/2n1k

Small update .. BTYahoo have removed the page in question.
snip

So as the OP only posted a URL, and not a sort summary, those who missed the
page haven't the foggiest what is being talked about !....

Old June 30th 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Tim Baker

Odd ..... it's working now, and all i've done is rush downstairs to put
the wheelie bin out !!

oh well ...

Perhaps the wheelie bin is interfering with firfox?

Old June 30th 04, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,free.uk.internet.broadband,uk.media.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk,uk.net.providers
Chris Croughton

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:09:55 +0000 (UTC), IslanderUK
wrote:

As I am going over to Broadband in a few months when it becomes
available I downloaded a usage meter from http://www.bmextreme.com

This has been very useful in seeing how much bandwidth I use.

As long as you are only using a Wintel computer (Mac, Linux etc. are not
supported).

its free as well

If you have the 'basic' version, which doesn't support monitoring more
than one computer, ignoring the LAN, etc.). Otherwise it's US$19.95 for
1-4 computers for the 'home' version, and US$34.95 for the
'professional' one. Plus licences for each individual computer
monitored.

I'm surprised that none of the 'hardware' firewall/routers seem to have
such stats easily available, it would seem easy enough to do...

Chris C

Note followup.