USB modem or router?

Old June 29th 04, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Trent

Default USB modem or router?

Having been using an Alcatel USB frog for some time, I wonder what are the
benefits of a router in a home environment, where there is never likely to
be any networking or wireless requirements? Basically, I've got a single PC
which I want to connect to a single ADSL line. That situation's unlikely to
change.

Any thoughts?

Old June 29th 04, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
"Philip Trent" wrote in message
Having been using an Alcatel USB frog for some time, I wonder what are the
benefits of a router in a home environment, where there is never likely to
be any networking or wireless requirements? Basically, I've got a single

PC
which I want to connect to a single ADSL line. That situation's unlikely

change.

Any thoughts?

If I were you Phil, if you are not having any problems I would stick with
Kermit, but run a software firewall in your PC.

Having said that, if your modem got struck by lightning tonight, instead of
replacing it with another USB device I would get an internal PCI card.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 29th 04, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeremy Barker

"Philip Trent" wrote in message ...
Having been using an Alcatel USB frog for some time, I wonder what are the
benefits of a router in a home environment, where there is never likely to
be any networking or wireless requirements? Basically, I've got a single PC
which I want to connect to a single ADSL line. That situation's unlikely to
change.

Any thoughts?

In gneral you only need a router if you want to connect more than one
computer to the ADSL line. As you have just one computer it would be
a total waste of money unless you want a firewall independent of your
computer and the router contains one.

jb
Old June 29th 04, 11:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Houston

"Jeremy Barker" wrote in message
om...
"Philip Trent" wrote in message

Having been using an Alcatel USB frog for some time, I wonder what are

the
benefits of a router in a home environment, where there is never likely

be any networking or wireless requirements? Basically, I've got a

single PC
which I want to connect to a single ADSL line. That situation's

unlikely to
change.

Any thoughts?

In gneral you only need a router if you want to connect more than one
computer to the ADSL line. As you have just one computer it would be
a total waste of money unless you want a firewall independent of your
computer and the router contains one.

Some routers (e.g. Draytek Vigor 2600) also have a VPN facility
which is handy if you need to connect into your office, like me.

James H

Old June 30th 04, 01:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[...]

You can use VPN without a router with no problem.
It's the router (actually its hardware firewall) that blocks VPN unless
certain design considerations are met vis. VPN passthrough or making the
router a VPN endpoint itself.

Someone correct me if I haven't got that last bit quite right.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 30th 04, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Watts

"Jeremy Barker" wrote in message
om...
"Philip Trent" wrote in message

Having been using an Alcatel USB frog for some time, I wonder what are

the
benefits of a router in a home environment, where there is never likely

be any networking or wireless requirements? Basically, I've got a

single PC
which I want to connect to a single ADSL line. That situation's

unlikely to
change.

Any thoughts?

In gneral you only need a router if you want to connect more than one
computer to the ADSL line. As you have just one computer it would be
a total waste of money unless you want a firewall independent of your
computer and the router contains one.

If it all works fine then great.
If you have problems then I would advise choosing a router containing a
modem rather than a simple usb modem. The reason is that simple/cheap usb
modems uses the processing capability of the computer and can give rise to
contention and loading problems. I solved one such problem in a single
stroke by making that change.

Chris