BT & higher speeds + lower speeds

Old June 29th 04, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan

Default BT & higher speeds + lower speeds

BT haven't released any higher speed products since they launched ADSL in
the UK in 2000! There's still not a 2mb home product! Funnily enough they've
lowered them (Data stream connections) or the new 256kbps (ipstream)
connection in trial stage.

I wonder why this is? As I see it, speaking from my experience on upgrading
from 512kbps to 1mb I don't actually use more bandwidth in a month.
Bandwidth is what costs money. So it doesn't actually cost BT more to supply
at 512kbps connection to my house than a 1mb connection? Yes it costs Pipex
more because they have to pay a higher rental on the line from BT. People
might ask why I upgraded. The reason is I'm impatient and hate having to
wait for largish downloads to complete.

I think all these new 150kbps and 250kbps package are going to hold back
Broadband Britain in the long term and Britain will become less competitive
with other countries across the world ( more so than they already are) I
think ISP's which offer a slowest product of 512kbps with a cap is more
supieror because you can still enjoy the perks of broadband.

I seriously think 150kbps and 250kbps products should be scrapped with
512kbps products with caps. When the caps are reached charging per GB extra
til a maxium of x Maybe a little higher than their uncapped connection
products?

In an ideal word. BT would have 512kbps, 1mb, 2mb home connections, with
512k at say 18-20, 1mb at 25 - 30 and 2mb at 30-35.All uncapped.
Capped products would be significantly cheaper. Upload speed a minumum of
512kbps. Business products up to 8mb aswell!

What you guys think? Sorry this post sounds like I'm rambling. I'm in a
rush!

Dan

Old June 29th 04, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
marky

BT will be suppliing 2mb conections, the trial is almost over, but if you
had that you would then want 4mb etc etc, where does it end?....do a bit of
reseach on adsl, when you see how it works,you might understand the tech
side of things, also the reason BT is offering 256, is to people out of
reach of normal broadband and to people that dont need to download massive
files, just for faster surfing etc