new to broadband

Old June 29th 04, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason

Default new to broadband

We are getting broadband in our village in August (deepest somerset). I am
considering going with BT's 512 service at 29.99 a month. A neighbour is
going with AOL as they do a 1mb service for the same 29.99. Can anyone tell
me which is the better to go with. Having never used AOL i am a little
unsure. Complete novice this end so go easy on me peeps

Jason

Old June 29th 04, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Campbell

"Jason" wrote in message
We are getting broadband in our village in August (deepest somerset). I am
considering going with BT's 512 service at 29.99 a month. A neighbour is
going with AOL as they do a 1mb service for the same 29.99. Can anyone

tell
me which is the better to go with. Having never used AOL i am a little
unsure. Complete novice this end so go easy on me peeps

Jason for a quick answer just google this group for AOL or BT Broadband and
you will find that they are the 2 least "favourable" ISP's for most on this
list.

Steven.

Old June 29th 04, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Jason wrote:

We are getting broadband in our village in August (deepest somerset). I am
considering going with BT's 512 service at 29.99 a month. A neighbour is
going with AOL as they do a 1mb service for the same 29.99. Can anyone tell
me which is the better to go with. Having never used AOL i am a little
unsure. Complete novice this end so go easy on me peeps

Reference an article on uk-bug.net that I've not long put up, BTYahoo's
prices are just about to see a reduction come 1st July.

1Mbit will now be 29.99 (equal to AOL), with BTYahoo 500 service coming
in at 26.99 (provided you pay by Direct Debit).

As for which is better ? Many will cite they are as bad as each other,
and offer other ISPs such as Eclipse, NDO, Plusnet et all. All of which
I think I would be right in saying offer cheaper 512 and 1Mbit
services (some drastically so if you dont mind being limited to a low
bandwidth cap).

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old June 29th 04, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 22:00:22 UTC, "Jason"
wrote:

We are getting broadband in our village in August (deepest somerset). I am
considering going with BT's 512 service at 29.99 a month. A neighbour is
going with AOL as they do a 1mb service for the same 29.99. Can anyone tell
me which is the better to go with. Having never used AOL i am a little
unsure. Complete novice this end so go easy on me peeps

They are both quite expensive and there are better deals around (some
sub 20.00). Uses exactly the same line and hardware as BT do that bit
(and you may even be in an area where there are alternatives to that).

http://www.adslguide.org

will give you a nice list.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old June 29th 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
King Queen

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 23:00:22 +0100, "Jason"
wrote:

We are getting broadband in our village in August (deepest somerset). I am
considering going with BT's 512 service at 29.99 a month. A neighbour is
going with AOL as they do a 1mb service for the same 29.99. Can anyone tell
me which is the better to go with.

Hi Jason,

Definitely definitely definitely avoid AOL like the plague. They muck
up the internet connection something chronic. I'd also definitely
avoid BT - they are overpriced and not brilliant.

Try looking at some alternatives. http://www.adslguide.org.uk is a
good place to look for them, it does an "ISP comparator" if I remember
correctly.

I do like Pipex though they have definitely had a few problems
recently. People also recommend Plus.net though they have also had a
few problems recently. (mind you every ISP must have at some point!)
AAIsp are reputed to be very helpful.

As I say avoid AOL definitely and BT (technically better but very
expensive) - then you pays your money and takes your pick.

Cheers

--
To email me remove ".lartsspammers"
http://www.kingqueen.org.uk
Old June 29th 04, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

wrote:

We are getting broadband in our village in August (deepest somerset). I am
considering going with BT's 512 service at 29.99 a month. A neighbour is
going with AOL as they do a 1mb service for the same 29.99. Can anyone tell
me which is the better to go with. Having never used AOL i am a little
unsure. Complete novice this end so go easy on me peeps

Avoid Plusnet - they appear to have lost the plot.

--
Cheers

Peter

Remove the INVALID to reply
Old June 29th 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
...Jerry...

"Jason" wrote in message
We are getting broadband in our village in August (deepest somerset). I am
considering going with BT's 512 service at 29.99 a month. A neighbour is
going with AOL as they do a 1mb service for the same 29.99. Can anyone

tell
me which is the better to go with. Having never used AOL i am a little
unsure. Complete novice this end so go easy on me peeps

A fair as I can work out between the two, with BT you get the 'internet',
with AOL you get what they think the 'internet' should be .....

Old June 30th 04, 12:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Jason wrote:
We are getting broadband in our village in August (deepest somerset). I am
considering going with BT's 512 service at ?29.99 a month. A neighbour is
going with AOL as they do a 1mb service for the same ?29.99. Can anyone tell
me which is the better to go with. Having never used AOL i am a little
unsure. Complete novice this end so go easy on me peeps

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ is probably the best place to check.

A while ago, I'd have recommended plusnet (http://www.plus.net/ if you decide
to go with them, then I'd appreciate you entering 'mauve' into the referrer
box) without hesitation.
At the moment, they are having a few problems with usenet, and are
attempting to get the servers working well, before upgrading them.

There have been a few other niggles, but in general nothing that's actually
caused me inconvenience.
Old June 30th 04, 01:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason

"Jason" wrote in message
We are getting broadband in our village in August (deepest somerset). I am
considering going with BT's 512 service at 29.99 a month. A neighbour is
going with AOL as they do a 1mb service for the same 29.99. Can anyone

tell
me which is the better to go with. Having never used AOL i am a little
unsure. Complete novice this end so go easy on me peeps

Jason

Thank you all very much indeed for your help. I had signed up to BT although
I can cancel anytime before I go live as it were. I will do that now. And
will have a look at adslguide.

Once again your advice is greatly appreciated

Jason

Old June 30th 04, 07:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Avoid Plusnet - they appear to have lost the plot.

In what way? Having had their service since February it has been very good.
Yes there have been some problems many of them caused by external factors
not under their control. For example the DOS attack is something that can
happen to any ISP. Name another ISP that is so upfront with information. No
ISP is perfcet but many hide all the problems and tell you nothing. If you
want 100% perfection then you need to double or treble the cost that for
most people is not a reaslistic proposition.