Broadband acess via mobile phone - possible?

Old June 30th 04, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

Default Broadband acess via mobile phone - possible?

Folks,

Is it possible to have high speed access for a laptopn with mobile phone
combo?
I know standard mobile connectivity works at 9600 which isnt fast enough.

I am in Cornwall - Orange is the best network down here.

Any suggestions?

TIA - Ada,

Old June 30th 04, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adam Lipscombe

More on this: Orange say that their Mobile Office Card will do the job, but
I am worried about the data transfer rates:

They say this:

Orange GPRS - the Sony Ericsson GC75 datacard is class 10, which allows both
4+1 and 3+2 (downlink and uplink) connections which can give speeds up to
53.6kps receiving and 26.8kps sending

Orange High Speed Data - the maximum is 28.8kps regardless of whether you
are sending or receiving; these speeds are without any compression

These rates dont look any better than a standard modem. Is that correct?

TIA - Adam

Old June 30th 04, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:07:55 +0100, "Adam Lipscombe"
wrote:

More on this: Orange say that their Mobile Office Card will do the job, but
I am worried about the data transfer rates:

They say this:

Orange GPRS - the Sony Ericsson GC75 datacard is class 10, which allows both
4+1 and 3+2 (downlink and uplink) connections which can give speeds up to
53.6kps receiving and 26.8kps sending

Orange High Speed Data - the maximum is 28.8kps regardless of whether you
are sending or receiving; these speeds are without any compression

These rates dont look any better than a standard modem. Is that correct?

The rates you are quoting for GPRS are similar to a standard modem -
that is about right. In fact I doubt you will get those rates on
Orange GRPS anyway - I find Orange GPRS slow.

It is not my equipment - using the same equipment, but roaming on
Movistar last Saturday I was getting twice the speed I would get on a
good day in the UK. IMO Orange need to improve not just the
reliability of their GPRS but remove some of the bottlenecks.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old June 30th 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:07:55 +0100, "Adam Lipscombe"
strung together this:

These rates dont look any better than a standard modem. Is that correct?

Yes.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old June 30th 04, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Eden

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Is it possible to have high speed access for a laptopn with mobile
phone combo?
I know standard mobile connectivity works at 9600 which isnt fast
enough.
I am in Cornwall - Orange is the best network down here.
Any suggestions?

Vodafone 3G Mobile Connect Card. In major towns and cities it will do
346Kbps - in more rural areas it will fall back to GPRS at 56Kbps.

Of course, it's not a seperate mobile phone - it's a laptop card. But you
can use it to send and receive SMS.

Terry

small disclaimer - speaking for myself, not my employer.

Old June 30th 04, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
___

"Terry Eden" wrote in message
Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Is it possible to have high speed access for a laptopn with mobile
phone combo?
I know standard mobile connectivity works at 9600 which isnt fast
enough.
I am in Cornwall - Orange is the best network down here.
Any suggestions?

Vodafone 3G Mobile Connect Card. In major towns and cities it will do
346Kbps - in more rural areas it will fall back to GPRS at 56Kbps.

How much is one of these and how much to use per min or whatever ?

Old June 30th 04, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terry Eden

___ wrote:
"Terry Eden" wrote in message
Vodafone 3G Mobile Connect Card. In major towns and cities it will
do 346Kbps - in more rural areas it will fall back to GPRS at 56Kbps.

How much is one of these and how much to use per min or whatever ?

GPRS and 3G is charged per MB.

Full details are at http://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobileconnect/

Breifly, card cost depends on your monthly spend. Data is charged between
59p and 2.35 per MB. All +VAT

I use the card regularly (through work) and it gives great performance,
without the problems of trying to find a WiFi hotspot.