so many to choose from

Old June 30th 04, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stevie

Default so many to choose from

Hi,

I'm looking around for a broadband provider on BT ADSL. I dont have
cable in my area and I dont want sat-bb.

There are just so many to choose from? I'm what I would call a light
user but I dont want 150k or 256k. Looking for 512k broadband. I surf
a little and read a lot of news groups. I send quite a few digital
photos, but my online time on dial-up is about 60hours a month. I'm
not an on-line gamer but hey I might like it with decent speeds.

Initially I'm trying to find a 512k package that is considered good
value for money - 30 per month max, although most seem well bellow
this. I dont know if capped bandwidth will be ok for me but I guess I
could change package at a later date.

What are your thoughts on the best around? Are there any web sites out
there that you can compare broaband packages on ala kelkoo?

Cheers,

Old June 30th 04, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Stevie wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking around for a broadband provider on BT ADSL. I dont have
cable in my area and I dont want sat-bb.

There are just so many to choose from? I'm what I would call a light
user but I dont want 150k or 256k. Looking for 512k broadband. I surf
a little and read a lot of news groups. I send quite a few digital
photos, but my online time on dial-up is about 60hours a month. I'm
not an on-line gamer but hey I might like it with decent speeds.

Initially I'm trying to find a 512k package that is considered good
value for money - ?30 per month max, although most seem well bellow
this. I dont know if capped bandwidth will be ok for me but I guess I
could change package at a later date.

What are your thoughts on the best around? Are there any web sites out
there that you can compare broaband packages on ala kelkoo?

http://www.adslguide.co.uk/

Plusnet have a range of services that might suit, though hold off a week or
two, and you'll probably have a better idea about usenet.
The current servers are being upgraded to ones that should provide decent
binary service, if that's important to you.
(referrer ID mauve)
Old June 30th 04, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dean Lambert

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

http://www.adslguide.co.uk/

Plusnet have a range of services that might suit, though hold off a week

or
two, and you'll probably have a better idea about usenet.
The current servers are being upgraded to ones that should provide decent
binary service, if that's important to you.

I was going to use Plusnet, but with the amount of messages on here about
the quality of service I decided to give it a miss. I decided to choose
onetel, mainly because I've not seen any complaints about them.
Hopefully the onetel news server will be able to cope.

Old June 30th 04, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Dean Lambert wrote:
"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

http://www.adslguide.co.uk/

Plusnet have a range of services that might suit, though hold off a week

or
two, and you'll probably have a better idea about usenet.
The current servers are being upgraded to ones that should provide decent
binary service, if that's important to you.

I was going to use Plusnet, but with the amount of messages on here about
the quality of service I decided to give it a miss. I decided to choose
onetel, mainly because I've not seen any complaints about them.
Hopefully the onetel news server will be able to cope.

I don't know what it's like.
The new plusnet newsserver is looking promising, if you want binaries,
having hit a reasonable completion rate (70% on large files), quite
adequate that you can recover them all using PAR.
Old June 30th 04, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dean Lambert

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I don't know what it's like.
The new plusnet newsserver is looking promising, if you want binaries,
having hit a reasonable completion rate (70% on large files), quite
adequate that you can recover them all using PAR.

Don't like binaries, so it wouldn't appeal to me.
Plus you never see any good binaries, they always seem to be these
"Hardcore" porno's that turn out to be a chicken laying a egg!

Old June 30th 04, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Dean Lambert wrote:
"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I don't know what it's like.
The new plusnet newsserver is looking promising, if you want binaries,
having hit a reasonable completion rate (70% on large files), quite
adequate that you can recover them all using PAR.

Don't like binaries, so it wouldn't appeal to me.
Plus you never see any good binaries, they always seem to be these
"Hardcore" porno's that turn out to be a chicken laying a egg!

I was surprised by the volume of some groups when I looked at them.
alt.binaries.erotica.vcd for example has 2G/day, alt.binaries.dvd.erotica
17G/day, ...

Old July 1st 04, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

I was going to use Plusnet, but with the amount of messages on here about
the quality of service I decided to give it a miss. I decided to choose
onetel, mainly because I've not seen any complaints about them.
Hopefully the onetel news server will be able to cope.

I have been monitoring this NG for some time now and I think it is fair to
say that Plusnet is well thought of by many who post here. I am not so
cynical to think that this is entirely because of referral discounts. Yes
Plusnet is having a 'Horibulus Coupleofweeksus' but I think they will get
through it.

BTW I haven't been able to post to ONETEL's NNTP server, news.onetel.net.uk
since 24/5/04 at least not from their monthly subscription dial-up.
Incoming news is OK. Maybe BB is not affected I don't know.

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 1st 04, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:16:57 +0100, "Graham" wrote:

I was going to use Plusnet, but with the amount of messages on here about
the quality of service I decided to give it a miss. I decided to choose
onetel, mainly because I've not seen any complaints about them.
Hopefully the onetel news server will be able to cope.

I have been monitoring this NG for some time now and I think it is fair to
say that Plusnet is well thought of by many who post here. I am not so
cynical to think that this is entirely because of referral discounts. Yes
Plusnet is having a 'Horibulus Coupleofweeksus' but I think they will get
through it.

[snip]

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

I am at a loss to understand your conclusions on the service from
Plusnet based upon the postings on this Newsgroup. IMHO the recent
blip on their service is nothing compared to the constant winging of
users to this provider.

ADSL guide certainly helps you to discover the 'top draw' providers
and surprisingly I can not recall ANY postings about some of these.
There must be a very large number of bunnies out there who are well
satisfied with their choice of provider.

So at this present time, what logical reason would a newbie have in
choosing Plusnet to join a ship that has a hole in its side and
customer service representatives that are less than helpful?

DAVID BRADLEY
Old July 1st 04, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

I am at a loss to understand your conclusions on the service from
Plusnet based upon the postings on this Newsgroup. IMHO the recent
blip on their service is nothing compared to the constant winging of
users to this provider.

ADSL guide certainly helps you to discover the 'top draw' providers
and surprisingly I can not recall ANY postings about some of these.
There must be a very large number of bunnies out there who are well
satisfied with their choice of provider.

So at this present time, what logical reason would a newbie have in
choosing Plusnet to join a ship that has a hole in its side and
customer service representatives that are less than helpful?

Making a choice of ISP based on what a few people on a NG say would be very
unwise.

Old July 1st 04, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 09:36:57 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

I am at a loss to understand your conclusions on the service from
Plusnet based upon the postings on this Newsgroup. IMHO the recent
blip on their service is nothing compared to the constant winging of
users to this provider.

ADSL guide certainly helps you to discover the 'top draw' providers
and surprisingly I can not recall ANY postings about some of these.
There must be a very large number of bunnies out there who are well
satisfied with their choice of provider.

So at this present time, what logical reason would a newbie have in
choosing Plusnet to join a ship that has a hole in its side and
customer service representatives that are less than helpful?

Making a choice of ISP based on what a few people on a NG say would be very
unwise.

Usual statement made, implying that no survey or feedback is a large
enough sample to warrant selecting any particular supplier of services
on the results. But I would say that most of us collate together
pieces of information from a number of sources before make a decision
on what to buy or use. Your simple response does not answer the
question posed that sought to find good reasons for any potential
client to 'sign up' to PlusNet.

David Bradley