New BT distance rules?

Old June 30th 04, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default New BT distance rules?

I am sure this has been asked and answered before but I cannot find any
trace of either. I am correct in assuming that once the long reach trials
are concluded BT will set new minimums for line loss at which they can offer
service? In particular does this mean that as well as being able to have the
basic service where it was not previously possible that those who could only
get a 512K connection may be able to in 1 MB in future?

--
gee six jay en

Replace the words with the numbers to email me

Old June 30th 04, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Peter Crosland wrote:
I am sure this has been asked and answered before but I cannot find any
trace of either. I am correct in assuming that once the long reach trials
are concluded BT will set new minimums for line loss at which they can offer
service? In particular does this mean that as well as being able to have the
basic service where it was not previously possible that those who could only
get a 512K connection may be able to in 1 MB in future?

Possibly.

The thresholds will be set so that engineer visits don't eat too much into
profits.
Say a ASDL line profits BT wholesale some 5 quid a month.
Or 60 quid a year.
If they are willing to spend 10% of this on engineers working on marginal
lines, then that gives 6 quid a year.
Let's say an engineer + van + petrol + office lighting + national insurance
+ pension + ... costs BT 50 quid an hour.
This gives about 7 minutes of ADSL related engineer time per line per year.

If the average visit lasts 2 hours, then it might be a reasonable guess
that the threshold will be set at a level that will on average result
in one engineer visit per 17 years.