Best ADSL BB offer at moment?

Old June 30th 04, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
yonnermark

Default Best ADSL BB offer at moment?

I've been sat here for about an hour looking at the various options.
It seems that BT's basic plan is the cheapest along with Tesco's but I
can't find the relevent part of Tesco's website.

Can anyone offer an opinion of what they think the best ADSL BB
provider is at the moment and state some reasons?

Thanks in advance
Mark
Old June 30th 04, 07:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

yonnermark wrote:

I've been sat here for about an hour looking at the various options.
It seems that BT's basic plan is the cheapest along with Tesco's but I
can't find the relevent part of Tesco's website.

Can anyone offer an opinion of what they think the best ADSL BB
provider is at the moment and state some reasons?

Thanks in advance
Mark

To an extent, you "gets what you pays for"! There isn't a single answer to
your question. It depends whether you want:
* the cheapest regardless of quality
* the best service regardless of price
* the best value for money, etc
*and* what speed, contention ratio and features you want.

Have a look at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ to see what other people think
of the various offerings.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old June 30th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Pearson

yonnermark wrote:
I've been sat here for about an hour looking at the various options.
It seems that BT's basic plan is the cheapest along with Tesco's but I
can't find the relevent part of Tesco's website.

You may find that BT's own offering may be cheaper especially if you have a
nine-five job (i.e don't use phone much during day!), as 1 hour call costs a
flat rate of 6p (other telcos have a similar offering!), day calls using
18866 work out best for me.

Can anyone offer an opinion of what they think the best ADSL BB
provider is at the moment and state some reasons?

Have a look at plus.net, they have good reviews and appear to be good value
for money, I'm trying to migrate over to them from pipex, which aside from a
major outage last weekend has been very reliable, albeit a bit more
expensive for my usage!

Best wishes

Jon

Old June 30th 04, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
___

18.75 no limits from www.fast4.net The smaller companies are the best IMO.
Those who waste money on glossy TV ads steer well clear of

m...

Old June 30th 04, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

___ wrote:
: 18.75 no limits from www.fast4.net The smaller companies are the best IMO.
: Those who waste money on glossy TV ads steer well clear of

Very much horses for courses! Two colleagues have independently gone for
Wanadoo at 17.99/month - while a 2Gb cap (OK for many peopel) this includes
free modem and free connection -- which many do not.
Old June 30th 04, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
___

"Brian McIlwrath" wrote in message
___ wrote:
: 18.75 no limits from www.fast4.net The smaller companies are the best

IMO.
: Those who waste money on glossy TV ads steer well clear of

Very much horses for courses! Two colleagues have independently gone for
Wanadoo at 17.99/month - while a 2Gb cap (OK for many peopel) this

includes
free modem and free connection -- which many do not.

Yes but big deal these days, you can get a ADSL modem for 15 or less. Free
connection is ok I guess but a 2GB cap is not, hopeless for p2p progs and
ISO's incl legit ones like new versions of linux etc

Old June 30th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dicki Dido

Hi,
I was with Freeserve for more than five years and when I switched to
broadband I spent a lot of time and effort looking into various ISP
providers.
I eventually choose Plusnet and I must say I am more than happy with
my decision.The original application was made on a Monday and I was fully
connected by the Friday evening.They are very helpful and keep you fully
informed of proceedings all the way through your application.The helpline
and support is absolutly first class and I must say that for a ISP they are
really brilliant.No problems with connection or speed they are all as
advertised .I did have a cause to phone them re a problem I was having with
my e mail and it was all sorted out within two minutes by a very helpful
assistant If you do have a problem the staff often look on here for
problems and sort them out with customers.
Hope this helps you to make a decision.If you are happy please use my u/n
as referral that is:- beechville96

Old July 1st 04, 07:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

___ wrote:
: 18.75 no limits from www.fast4.net The smaller companies are the best

IMO.
: Those who waste money on glossy TV ads steer well clear of

Very much horses for courses! Two colleagues have independently gone for
Wanadoo at 17.99/month - while a 2Gb cap (OK for many peopel) this

includes
free modem and free connection -- which many do not.

Dicki Dodo's posting has a flavour about it as a message posted from
within the PlusNet organisation to mitigate previous postings about
the quality of their service.

Any why the reference to Freeserve, it seems entirely irreverent?

David Bradley

Old July 1st 04, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
poster

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, David Bradley wrote:

Dicki Dodo's posting has a flavour about it as a message posted from
within the PlusNet organisation to mitigate previous postings about
the quality of their service.

If by "within the PlusNet organisation" you mean from some member of
staff, well, there's a chance I guess, but certainly the IP goes to
a customer link beech.....plus.com if you care to check...

Any why the reference to Freeserve, it seems entirely irreverent?

Until recently the cost of using Freeserve was above the cost of
Demon - closer to BTO's charges so looking at PlusNet seems quite
obvious as they give better value for money, and I can vouch for
that, having used both during 6 months of 2003. I closed my FS
account before Christmas, but kept PlusNet going. Peter M.