Broadband newbie - "Wannadoo". Any use at all?

Old June 30th 04, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Andy½

Default Broadband newbie - "Wannadoo". Any use at all?

Any horror stories about Wannadoo (I'm looking at the 17.99 512 service
currently)?
I haven't had broadband before and have heard of bad news about the BT & AOL
offerings.

How about Virginnet (my current dialup ISP) or Plus.net as alternatives?

All advice/alternatives fully appreciated. I am also looking at the
www.adslguide.org.uk site but still finding it a bit of a minefield.

Thankyou in advance

Andy.

Old June 30th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Dean Lambert

"Andy½" wrote in message
Any horror stories about Wannadoo (I'm looking at the 17.99 512 service
currently)?
I haven't had broadband before and have heard of bad news about the BT &

AOL
offerings.

How about Virginnet (my current dialup ISP) or Plus.net as alternatives?

Going bu comments on here about pipex...there a no no
Virgin, not heard anything about them.
Try onetel

Old June 30th 04, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:43:39 +0100, "Dean Lambert"
strung together this:

Going bu comments on here about pipex...there a no no

I wouldn't go that far, there's nothing wrong with Pipex that's any
worse than any of the other 'recommended' ISPs.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old June 30th 04, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
lurch

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:24:14 +0100, "Andy½"
strung together this:

Any horror stories about Wannadoo (I'm looking at the 17.99 512 service
currently)?

Plenty, avoid them.

I haven't had broadband before and have heard of bad news about the BT & AOL
offerings.

You've heard correctly, avoid those too.

How about Virginnet (my current dialup ISP) or Plus.net as alternatives?

Plusnet would be a good choice, although they've had some glitches
recently. I'm on Pipex and haven't had any problems with them in the
12 months since I signed up.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old July 1st 04, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Laura P

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:24:14 +0100, "Andy½"
strung together this:

Any horror stories about Wannadoo (I'm looking at the 17.99 512 service
currently)?

Plenty, avoid them.

What sort of things have you heard? I've been with Freeserve/Wanadoo 512k BB
for about a year and a half with no problems - but would be interested to hear
of any that I may have in the future...

Cheers,

Laura

Old July 1st 04, 01:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Laura P" wrote in message

What sort of things have you heard? I've been with Freeserve/Wanadoo
512k BB for about a year and a half with no problems - but would be
interested to hear of any that I may have in the future...

Depends - their new product range includes caps - so if you are a "heavy"
user.. its definately not for you..

Regards
Sunil

Old July 1st 04, 06:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
6JB

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 23:48:25 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

Plusnet would be a good choice, although they've had some glitches
recently. I'm on Pipex and haven't had any problems with them in the
12 months since I signed up.

PlusNet are a good ISP, but yes they have had some problems lately and
also their news server (either normal or beta) never seems to be quite
right.

The biggest problem with PlusNet is the training and education of some
of their support staff. There have been several occasions of customers
receiving incorrect information about their products or services. This
was the reason why I moved away from them.

In particular, according to a recent thread, one of their CSR's has
not only been inaccurate but somewhat rude to a customer as well.

Old July 1st 04, 07:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Mark Morrison

wrote:

I haven't had broadband before and have heard of bad news about the BT & AOL
offerings.

I've been with AOL for about 3 years, now, and haven't got a single
complaint.

I went from dialup to 512 to 1 mbit. Their 512 is now £19.99 a month
for uncapped downloads. 1 mbit is £30, also uncapped.

And what's with all the carrots ?
Old July 1st 04, 08:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Road_Hog

"Andy½" wrote in message
Any horror stories about Wannadoo (I'm looking at the 17.99 512 service
currently)?

French owned, enough said.

Old July 1st 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:

I haven't had broadband before and have heard of bad news about the BT & AOL
offerings.

I've been with AOL for about 3 years, now, and haven't got a single
complaint.

I went from dialup to 512 to 1 mbit. Their 512 is now £19.99 a month
for uncapped downloads. 1 mbit is £30, also uncapped.

Quite common for AOL users to make this statement, but for those that
have left AOL, for whatever reason, their perspective of AOL changes
dramitically with statements such as ! "I wished I had moved much
sooner". The greater flexabilty and freedom that you get without the
hiderance of AOL is a bonus, but the process of change is rather akin
to someone comming off hard drugs.

The plug about AOL's prices leaves me confused, what service is the OP
actually on? If you are so satisfied with one or the other, why
mention this aspect at all unless you upgraded to the faster service?

David Bradley