Netgear WG511 Readings

Old June 30th 04, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

Default Netgear WG511 Readings

I've got a Netgear WiFi AP and laptop PCcard.

On the configuration program under 'status' it shows signal at 95% whereas
under 'Site Survey' it shows signal at 69%

Both these readings within seconds of each other.

Any ideas why the difference?

Geoff Lane

Old June 30th 04, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I've got a Netgear WiFi AP and laptop PCcard.

On the configuration program under 'status' it shows signal at 95% whereas
under 'Site Survey' it shows signal at 69%

Both these readings within seconds of each other.

Any ideas why the difference?

Geoff Lane

I have a WG511 and I don't understand the figures you are talking about.
Which drivers are you running? I'm running the WG511v2502.exe drivers
download file, which is actually listed in the Netgear utility as drivers =
2.1.22.0, firmware = 2.04.06.00 and utility version = 2.22.20.6.

On my "settings" tab I do not have a numeric value for signal strength, just
8 blobs. I have 7 blobs lit and the eighth pulsing fairly regularly about
every 1-2 seconds. There is nothing referred to as "site survey" but on my
"networks" tab I see signal strength rock steady at 100% (but I'm not sure
that that figure gets refreshed in real time, only when you do a scan). BTW,
the blob display appears on all tabs including the "networks (site survey?)
tab.

My card is presently about 6' from my Netgear DG834G router. Just now I am
downloading from the net and also doing a large file transfer to another
wireless laptop in the same room.

I guess signal strength might vary depending on surrounding interference,
like other networks or microwave ovens. But I still don't see how you are
getting two numeric values for signal strength.

Old July 4th 04, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff Lane

"Tiny Tim" wrote in message ...
"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I've got a Netgear WiFi AP and laptop PCcard.

On the configuration program under 'status' it shows signal at 95% whereas
under 'Site Survey' it shows signal at 69%

Both these readings within seconds of each other.

Any ideas why the difference?

Geoff Lane

I have a WG511 and I don't understand the figures you are talking about.
Which drivers are you running?

I've just looked on the site and noticed the updated drivers; I have the older ones.

Geoff Lane
Old July 9th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
om...
"Tiny Tim" wrote in message

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
I've got a Netgear WiFi AP and laptop PCcard.

On the configuration program under 'status' it shows signal at 95%

whereas
under 'Site Survey' it shows signal at 69%

Both these readings within seconds of each other.

Any ideas why the difference?

Geoff Lane

I have a WG511 and I don't understand the figures you are talking about.
Which drivers are you running?

I've just looked on the site and noticed the updated drivers; I have the

older ones.

Geoff Lane

Even newer drivers and config software was released yesterday (8th July).
I've been running it for 24 hours with no ill effects.