DRAYTEK VIGOR 2600 PLUS ADSL ROUTER

Old July 2nd 04, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen (Sausagefans.com)

Default DRAYTEK VIGOR 2600 PLUS ADSL ROUTER

Is anyone using a Vigor 2600 plus, @ £136.95 is there anything better
for less cash?

Thinking security, VPN, ability to web host behind it...

Thanks
--
For recipes, cooking tips and recommended butchers
http://www.sausagefans.com/
Old July 2nd 04, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:31:05 +0100, Stephen (Sausagefans.com)
wrote:

Is anyone using a Vigor 2600 plus, @ £136.95 is there anything better
for less cash?

Use many of them. Good product. I am sure there are products for
less money but there is a large community of Vigor users to help you
when things go wrong.

Thinking security, VPN, ability to web host behind it...

Allows all that.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old July 2nd 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Appleyard

wrote:

Is anyone using a Vigor 2600 plus, @ £136.95 is there anything better
for less cash?

Use many of them. Good product. I am sure there are products for
less money but there is a large community of Vigor users to help you
when things go wrong.

Thinking security, VPN, ability to web host behind it...

I just bought 2 and set up a LAN to LAN VPN. It's working well.

One disappointment is the port throttling. I hoped to use this to
ensure that one user couldn't hog all of the ADSL bandwidth, but the
problem is that it throttles LAN traffic as well.

--
John Appleyard
Old July 6th 04, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

wrote:

Is anyone using a Vigor 2600 plus, @ £136.95 is there anything better
for less cash?

Haggled mine down to 108 - mind you, I'm buying 28!

Damn fine product - installed 6 to date in various sites!

As a contrast, I've had nothing but trouble with the SMC Barricade range
- three at least have had to be replaced by the installer after they
started playing up or gone completely dead - I've told them to switch to
Vigor

Tip for the unwise: If you use the built-in USB printer port on the 2600
plus, turn OFF bidirectional printing in your printer settings otherwise
printing definitely won't work. If you forget and try and print with
bi-di ON, turn it OFF and REBOOT the PC - it won't work until you do;
that bit drove me nuts the first time - as soon as I rebooted all my
test prints flooded through!

L3K
Old July 6th 04, 06:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 01:11:06 +0100, Linker3000
wrote:

Haggled mine down to 108 - mind you, I'm buying 28!

Now there's someone who knows a good thing when the see it! Did well
to get as low as £108 but I wonder what a target price should be to
haggle for one.

Damn fine product - installed 6 to date in various sites!

As a contrast, I've had nothing but trouble with the SMC Barricade range
- three at least have had to be replaced by the installer after they
started playing up or gone completely dead - I've told them to switch to
Vigor

Tip for the unwise: If you use the built-in USB printer port on the 2600
plus, turn OFF bidirectional printing in your printer settings otherwise
printing definitely won't work. If you forget and try and print with
bi-di ON, turn it OFF and REBOOT the PC - it won't work until you do;
that bit drove me nuts the first time - as soon as I rebooted all my
test prints flooded through!

Could well be the issue/problem I am having so thanks for this bit of
information.

L3K

Old July 6th 04, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linker3000

wrote:

Haggled mine down to 108 - mind you, I'm buying 28!

I wonder what a target price should be to haggle for one.

I reckon about £120 for a 1-off (?)

Could well be the issue/problem I am having so thanks for this bit of
information.

Also worth having a look at the support forums at www.seg.co.uk - there
seems to be some USB-based printers that just won't work with the Draytek.

L3K
Old July 7th 04, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bof

In message , John Appleyard
writes

wrote:

Is anyone using a Vigor 2600 plus, @ £136.95 is there anything better
for less cash?

Use many of them. Good product. I am sure there are products for
less money but there is a large community of Vigor users to help you
when things go wrong.

Thinking security, VPN, ability to web host behind it...

I just bought 2 and set up a LAN to LAN VPN. It's working well.

One disappointment is the port throttling. I hoped to use this to
ensure that one user couldn't hog all of the ADSL bandwidth, but the
problem is that it throttles LAN traffic as well.

I was thinking of getting one in order to use this feature, I guess the
LAN throttling would disappear if the LAN were interconnected using a
hub and then on to the Internet via the 2600?

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk