Bulldog ADSL

Old July 2nd 04, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Bulldog ADSL

any body got any comments on Bulldog ,their pricing looks competitive
especially on ,
What is their e-mail and newsgroup service like

The prime time service do web pages load quicker and files download
quicker during the times when your supposed to have the 1mb or 2mb
service

Customer service how is that

and how easy was it to migrate over

I'm with BTYahoo at the moment but I'm off now they plan to introduce
capping (I guess they all will but until then )

TIA

Osiris
Old July 2nd 04, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Horne

wrote:

I'm with BTYahoo at the moment but I'm off now they plan to introduce
capping (I guess they all will but until then )

I certainly understand why people don't like capping if they are heavy
users, but I wonder how many individuals this affects? Are there any
reliable statistics on the proportion of adsl users who go over 1GB a
month. 2BG a month? I use the internet quite a bit, but my actual
downloads are typically not that great. As I'm away from home usually
about a week a month, I probably don't often go higher than 1GB. I don't
imagine my situation is universal, but I'd be interested to know what
average usages are.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old July 2nd 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

David Horne wrote:

: I certainly understand why people don't like capping if they are heavy
: users, but I wonder how many individuals this affects? Are there any
: reliable statistics on the proportion of adsl users who go over 1GB a
: month. 2BG a month?

www.adslguide.org.uk reports research from Wanadoo that 45% of Broadband
users use under 1Gb/month and that the vast majority use less than 2Gb.

Despite the impression given by many users in this newsgroup I think these
figures are not unreasonable. For many people it's the always on and faster
access features of Broadband which make them change from dial-up.
Old July 2nd 04, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

wrote in message
any body got any comments on Bulldog ,their pricing looks competitive
especially on ,
What is their e-mail and newsgroup service like

They don't offer a newsgroup service.

For email, Bulldog provide a SMTP server for outgoing email but no email
accounts as standard.

Its possible to "buy" email accounts from them using their
http://www.my-bulldog.com/ service - however, I think thats quite expensive
and its better value to get your own domain, a free email account or use
webmail (Yahoo/Hotmail/Gmail etc)

The prime time service do web pages load quicker and files download
quicker during the times when your supposed to have the 1mb or 2mb
service

Files certainly download faster! - the effect on web pages is less
pronunced.

Customer service how is that

Customer service is ok - but you sometimes you are on hold for quite a
while.

They are generally poor at answering email though - like many ISP's.

and how easy was it to migrate over

If you want to change to a faster speed - you can't currently migrate (a BT
Wholesale restriction).. you would have to do a "cease and reprovide" which
would mean some downtime.

I have previously written of my experience with their service at
http://makeashorterlink.com/?X28F130D7 if you want to have a look

If you/anyone does decide to use Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral
code when signing up - just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under
"How did you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or by telephone.

Regards
Sunil

Old July 2nd 04, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Horne

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

David Horne wrote:

: I certainly understand why people don't like capping if they are heavy
: users, but I wonder how many individuals this affects? Are there any
: reliable statistics on the proportion of adsl users who go over 1GB a
: month. 2BG a month?

www.adslguide.org.uk reports research from Wanadoo that 45% of Broadband
users use under 1Gb/month and that the vast majority use less than 2Gb.
Despite the impression given by many users in this newsgroup I think these
figures are not unreasonable. For many people it's the always on and faster
access features of Broadband which make them change from dial-up.

That's what I tend to think too, based on my own albeit very limited
sample.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net