A question on capping

« Filters | Messages »

Old July 2nd 04, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default A question on capping

Does anybody think that the introduction of capping has been bought
about with pressure from the record companys and film studios in
attempt to slow down file sharing I'm not saying its the only reason
and its not THE reason its been bought in but over a period of time
the amount of data you will be able to recieve and send could and
probably be squeezed to such a point that file sharing becomes un
atractive for the people who download/share dozens of movies every
month
Just a thought

Osiris
Old July 2nd 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Reader

wrote:
Does anybody think that the introduction of capping has been bought
about with pressure from the record companys and film studios in
attempt to slow down file sharing I'm not saying its the only reason
and its not THE reason its been bought in but over a period of time
the amount of data you will be able to recieve and send could and
probably be squeezed to such a point that file sharing becomes un
atractive for the people who download/share dozens of movies every
month

No,

It's due to a change in the way that some ADSL providers have chosen to
pay for the wholesale DSL product from BT.

"Classic" charging for the DSL products was on a fixed rental basis set at
different levels for each speed/grade of DSL line, plus a (large) fixed
rental charge for the Central service used to deliver the end-user
connections to the ISP.

With the new "Capacity Based Charging" (CBC), which some service providers
have now chosen to use, all end-user DSL lines are charged by BT at the
same (low) rental charge, and the central service is a lower rental
charge. However, the ISP must pay for the ammount of data going over the
Central service.

CBC allows ISPs to deliver very cheap DSL services to customers who make
very little use of it. The flip side is that under CBC, customers who use
their DSL more heavily than most will be costing the ISP far in excess of
the monthly charge the ISP makes for providing the service.

This means that service providers who have changed to CBC now want to cut
the ammount of data that their customers are moving, and the way to do
that is to impose usage limits and impose penalties for exceeding them.

d.

Old July 2nd 04, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Five Rounds Rapid

wrote in message
Does anybody think that the introduction of capping has been bought
about with pressure from the record companys and film studios in
attempt to slow down file sharing I'm not saying its the only reason
and its not THE reason its been bought in but over a period of time
the amount of data you will be able to recieve and send could and
probably be squeezed to such a point that file sharing becomes un
atractive for the people who download/share dozens of movies every
month
Just a thought

To be honest, I don't think BTYahoo give a damn about the issue of file
swapping per se. They are clearly under the misapprehension that 'heavy
users' are causing the service to be slow for more moderate customers.
This, of course, is twaddle. Busy exchanges are to blame. Lots of people
download at the same time (usually peak times) resulting in slowness. Some
of those people will be heavy users, some moderate, some light. But the
heaviest users download mostly overnight, when the network is quiet, so
BTY's argument will never hold water.

Old July 2nd 04, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Five Rounds Rapid wrote:
snip
To be honest, I don't think BTYahoo give a damn about the issue of file
swapping per se. They are clearly under the misapprehension that 'heavy
users' are causing the service to be slow for more moderate customers.
This, of course, is twaddle. Busy exchanges are to blame. Lots of people

Another aspect is the cost of bandwidth.
A 512K user constantly running P2P at maximum bandwidth will use about
90 quid a month as a proportion of the cost of a BT central line.

Old July 2nd 04, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:48:09 UTC, "Five Rounds Rapid"
wrote:

This, of course, is twaddle. Busy exchanges are to blame. Lots of people
download at the same time (usually peak times) resulting in slowness. Some
of those people will be heavy users, some moderate, some light. But the
heaviest users download mostly overnight, when the network is quiet, so
BTY's argument will never hold water.

That may be. But it sounds like the classic excuse of the heavy user
(a.k.a. pirate)

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Old July 2nd 04, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Five Rounds Rapid

wrote:

This, of course, is twaddle. Busy exchanges are to blame. Lots of

people
download at the same time (usually peak times) resulting in slowness.

Some
of those people will be heavy users, some moderate, some light. But the
heaviest users download mostly overnight, when the network is quiet, so
BTY's argument will never hold water.

That may be. But it sounds like the classic excuse of the heavy user
(a.k.a. pirate)

You immediately assume that anyone who downloads a lot must be up to no
good. I would argue that is by no means the case. I download a lot of old
TV eps from the newsgroups, material which isn't available to buy. This is
hardly piracy. Downloading game demos isn't piracy either. And neither is
downloading Linux distros. I do all of these things, and probably rack up
about 30-40Gb of bandwidth usage most months, but I don't think I'm breaking
any laws. I am simply using a service I am paying for, as it was
advertised.

Old July 2nd 04, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Five Rounds Rapid wrote:
snip
You immediately assume that anyone who downloads a lot must be up to no
good. I would argue that is by no means the case. I download a lot of old
TV eps from the newsgroups, material which isn't available to buy. This is
hardly piracy.

The law disagrees.
Apart from the very small fraction of TV where the copyright has lapsed.
The original author does not have to make the work available to the public
at all for copyright to be in force.

Old July 2nd 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Five Rounds Rapid

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Five Rounds Rapid wrote:
snip
You immediately assume that anyone who downloads a lot must be up to no
good. I would argue that is by no means the case. I download a lot of

old
TV eps from the newsgroups, material which isn't available to buy. This

is
hardly piracy.

The law disagrees.
Apart from the very small fraction of TV where the copyright has lapsed.
The original author does not have to make the work available to the public
at all for copyright to be in force.

Agreed, but TV companies have no objections to people taping shows and
watching them again later, and the same applies to the digital medium. I
know because I have contacted various copyright holders to clarify the
issue. So long as you don't start knocking out VCDs or DVDs for a fee, the
vast majority are happy enough for their shows to be distributed via usenet.
It is precisely this sort of interest which leads to official DVD releases
coming about, which is obviously good news for all concerned.

Old July 2nd 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:06:38 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

A 512K user constantly running P2P at maximum bandwidth will use about
90 quid a month as a proportion of the cost of a BT central line.

Don't forget that the cost of a central line is the same whether it is
used to capacity or sitting idle.

Cheers,

Guy

** I may not be perfect, but I'm
** English, and that's the next best thing!