moving to Broadband

Old July 2nd 04, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
george graham

Default moving to Broadband

I am with Wanadoo 'anytime' I want to move to a broadband deal.Firstly with
Wanadoo, as I believe I can't use my email address with another ISP. What
are the likely difficulties with Wanadoo and a wireless modem?
Any suggestions, advice welcome.
George

Old July 2nd 04, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

george graham wrote:

I am with Wanadoo 'anytime' I want to move to a broadband
deal.Firstly with Wanadoo, as I believe I can't use my email address
with another ISP. What are the likely difficulties with Wanadoo and a
wireless modem?
Any suggestions, advice welcome.
George

By Wanadoo, I presume you mean the old Freeserve?

If so, you can continue to use your existing email address even if you get
your broadband from another ISP. For example, I used to be on Freeserve
Anytime and am now with PlusNet, but can still send and receive emails from
my Freeserve address. You need to do the following:
* Cancel your Anytime account and get it converted to a PAYG (pay as you go)
account
* Log onto your Freeserve account (using an analog modem) once every 3
months (just for a few seconds) to keep it active
* Change your email setup (in Outlook, or whatever) to use use your new
ISP's smtp server when sending emails (but using the original email address)
[e.g. I send emails from using "relay.plus.net" as
my smtp server (but still receive incoming mails from pop.freeserve.com
whilst being physically connected to PlusNet)]

Not sure what you mean by a wireless modem. Do you mean a wireless router?
If so, you can use one (provided it is intended for ADSL rather than cable)
to share your broadband connection regardless of which ISP you use. It's as
well to have at least one PC with a wired connection to the router to enable
you to configure it reliably.

HTH.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old July 2nd 04, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Tiscali Tim wrote:
: * Change your email setup (in Outlook, or whatever) to use use your new
: ISP's smtp server when sending emails (but using the original email address)
: [e.g. I send emails from using "relay.plus.net" as
: my smtp server (but still receive incoming mails from pop.freeserve.com
: whilst being physically connected to PlusNet)]

Doing this is specifically blocked by some ISPs! It's how spammers spoof
peoples email addresses.
Old July 2nd 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

I am with Wanadoo 'anytime' I want to move to a broadband deal.Firstly

with
Wanadoo, as I believe I can't use my email address with another ISP. What
are the likely difficulties with Wanadoo and a wireless modem?
Any suggestions, advice welcome.
George

I have several Freeserve/Wanadoo Email addresses, including my 'main'
address, each one from a separate PAYG "No Ties" account. However, I haven't
actually used any of the accounts at all!
I just make sure the pop3 server is set to pop.freeserve.net irrespective of
the ISP I am using.

One thing though, every 90 days it will stop working when (or before) this
happens just go to
www.wanadoo.co.uk click 'retrieve account' (top right of page) input your
username/password and you're good for another 90 days, you can do this
whilst connected to your non-wanadoo account.

Graham.

--
%Profound_observation%